FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
I have a Yellow Watchman Goby and i would like to pair him with a Pistol Shrimp.

Just wondering how loud is the click/pop form pistol shrimp. Also how often does the sound occur? Every 5 minutes? Maybe once a night. Twice a week?

Lastly which pistol stays smallest and is most peaceful. Thanks.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have one and I'm kinda over it. Would never do it again. Had him since the first few months of my tank. So that makes it about 3-4 years.
He's about 2.5 inches.

It was a tiger- pistol Shrimp from petco. Yea I know. That's before I knew about this place. Lol.

Put him in and started digging. And digging. And digging!
My goby found Him.

He clicks all the time. Sometimes once a day. Sometimes incessantly. I have him in my living room. It does get annoying when watching a quiet movie.
I would say its like hitting a quarter against your tank. But softly.

Also frags on the bottom
Aren't safe. He will move them to build his cave condo.

Also I have periods of the whole tank being cloudy. And theres huge mounds of sand where I dont want them.

Sorry was still editing.

Thanx
-Joe

Last edited:

shark32

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Randalls pistol shrimp...he is maybe a little over an inch and a quarter and he lives with my yellow watchman goby...he is very peaceful and bothers nobody in my tank...they live under a big rock and the most reconstructing he does is he moves his holes to different sides of the rock...mine were not a pair when I got them either...I put my shrimp in 2-3 months after my goby and within 2 days they became buddies...as far as his clicking, not that loud but you can def hear it and he does it a few times in the evening...you should def get one...they make a very interesting addition to the tank...it's very cool when you get to see the shrimp in action and the goby standing guard!

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
It depends what they are clicking for. I usually hear him at least a few times a nite. And can tell if he's attacking something. That's like 5 clicks.

Also he grabs nass. Snails and drags them in. Who knows what happens then.

Thanx
-Joe

Last edited:

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Put little pebbles by him and he'll use them. Small rubble rock. Smash a rock with a hammer. They'll build a tunnel using them.

Also be sure your rock in on the bottom glass. Don't want a major cave in!

Thanx
-Joe

shark32

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy is small and I have argonite sand...you can actually see him grab the pieces and move them around...not sure what he would do with fine sand though...good luck with your choice...I have no regrets with mine :)

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i have a tiger pistol for about a year. he never paired with my watchman. i think they hate eachother. lol they have run into each other but one lives under one rock and the other lives under the other. he snaps a few times a day. he does it during the middle of the night but i have gotten used to it. since i have got him-i seen him once or twice- i know he is alive because of his snaps. i feed him thru a lil cave he made. i squirt some mysis in the hole

shark32

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me a while to find one...I was frequently stopping in 3 different saltwater stores looking 4 one...if you have a good store you like see if they can order one...the one I got was super tiny when I found him...his goby partner died and the store dumped him in a hermit crab tank...I spotted him because he was red and white mixed in with a bunch of dull hermit shells...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: