drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
its been two weeks since i lost almost every single fish. as of now here is what i have left:

purplle tang 2"-3"
juvenile naso (blonde I think still getting color) 2"-3"
yellow tail blue damsel

all are eating well look healthy and have no signs of disease. my plan is to continue to watch these fish for at least another two weeks.

going to set up a 20 long. i have a small powerhead a heater an aqueon hob filter a small air pump and a small cheap led strip. my plan is to pick up some established live rock maybe 5 or 10 pounds and set this tank up bare bottom with some rock as a qt/observation tank.

now here is where my questions begin:

should i get a small uv like an aquatop from amazon. is it worth it ? will it help or do anything at all? does anyone have one? what would you suggest?

as far as cycling the qt/observation tank goes planning to set up a cycled tank using dr tims ammonia and one and only. think this is the quickest and most precise and humane way of cycling a tank. has anyone cycled a tank using dr. tims?

i'm going to set up this qt/observation tank and cycle it with the dr. tims and let it run for about two weeks. rather than buying fish and throwing them in a last minute qt setup its much safer to put them in a cycled tank with just some live rock and i can just pull the rock out if treatment is needed. good idea or not?

as far as whatever killed my fish: if i give my remaining three fish another two weeks of observation with no signs of disease or poor health that will be one month for them. then i plan to begin re-stocking. going to put any new fish i get into qt for at least one month before introducing into dt. that being said if my three remaing fish make it two months and are healthy is whatever happened to my other fish over? is one month qt/observation long enough for new arrivals? do you recommend treating with anything regardless if new arrivals show symptoms?

if i get a fish from another hobbyist not a store whose had it for 6 months or more in their dt do i still need to qt? can i trust a fellow hobbyist?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: