Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
Hey guys I bought a platinum clown from max reef aquatics a while back when it was really small and as it has gotten older it now has an insane amount of black on it. My question is do they all end up looking like this or did I just get lucky and get a nice one. Mine has a black helmet also between its eys there is only a spec of orange left.

If you google platinum clownfish most of them dont have a lot of black but mine looks identical to this one. Just wondering if I made out or if it is your standard platinum. Thanks.

-Nikko

Attachments

• DSC_0106-1.jpg
    DSC_0106-1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 395
Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
Thanks guys. When I purchased that cute little booger he had a few hardly noticeable black spots on some of the fins and the other platinum had none. so of course I chose this one. It is now in my opinion one of the nicest platinum a I have ever seen. About two weeks ago I woke up and looked in my tank and noticed he was missing. I immediately turned off the pumps and shot my hand into my sock. Thank the baby Jesus I felt him flapping around. I put him in my tank and he dropped right to the sand bed and his eyes were sunken in. It was a roller coaster ride of emotions but he pulled through and is now the nicest platinum clown on the block.

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
Do you have any more pictures. That looks like a really nice fish. I dont know if the picture is showing it, but he Iris of the fish does not look clear orange. It looks pigmented to me from that pic at least. And looks like possibly 11 dorsal fins.

If what I see is correct then you dont have a Perc (Platinum) then it is an Ocellaris (Wyoming White).

If you have any more pics with the dorsal fin extended all the way count the fins. 11 fins is Ocellaris and pigmented iris.

10 dorsal fins and clear orange iris is Perc.

Check this page for great info on the 2.
http://www.seaandreef.com/products/fish-species/sea-reef-clownfish/20-wyoming-white.html

Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
Ok sorry it took so long to upload pics but here they are. This clownfish continues to boggle my mind because it was confirmed that this clown was from ORA and not SEA and Reef.

The Iris on one side looks to be pigmented however it looks like the black from his face is visible through the eye if that makes any sense.
The other Iris looks to be that of a percula and looks orange.

Counting the fins is very difficult and it looks like he has nowhere near close to 9 or 10 for that matter.

I guess i will leave the expertise to clown aquatics.

Sorry about the dirty glass I had a couple snails on my MagFloat

Attachments

• IMG_56092.jpg
    IMG_56092.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 71

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: