burt reynolds

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the last few months I have started to keep SPS with mixed results. A pocillipora damicornis I added a couple of months ago at first was pale brown but fuzy with polyps for the first month or so, but now is almost completely bleached and hardly any polyps left. It never did turn pink. Three weeks ago I added a purple staghorn acro frag, the polyps have never extended and now a small part of the tip looks like its bleaching (although some of the "nodes" look like they may have grown a bit). All of my softies are fine and my lps are fine, as well as a turbinara cup and a montipora capricornis frag that seems to be doing well. When I added the MH about a month and a half ago it sparked a small hair algae bloom that I beat with water changes and hand removal, and a diatom/cyano outbreak which seems to be weaning. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Here are my specs:

System - 55g w/ 65 lbs LR and 3-4" DSB, CPR hang on refugium with 4"dsb and some LR and grape and feather caulerpa, bak pak skimmer. I run carbon in the sump for a couple of days a month. System up for about a year and a half.

Lighting - 1 250w MH with 65k Iwasaki, 2 110w URI actinic. MH photoperiod 9 hrs, URI photoperiod 12 hours.

Water - undetectable amonia, nitrate and nitrite, ph 8.4, Ca 450 - 500, dkh 11-12. Water temp range from 76-78, sg 1.024, 20% change twice a month w/ IO heated to temp and circulated with ph overnight before adding. Water filtered through DI tap water filter only and dechlorinated.

Circulation - 2 MJ 1200s 1 MJ 900 on Red Sea Wavemaker.

Additives - b-ionic daily, iodine weekly, 1 tblsp of DTs twice a week, strontium 3 times a week, 1 frozen cube (prime reef or brine shrimp plus) or spirulina flakes alternated daily for fish/shrimp.

Fish and Inverts - mated pair pink skunk clowns, 2 green chromis, six line wrasse, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, mythrax crab, white sand stirring starfish, 2 turbo snails, 12 astrea, 6-8 bumble bee, 8-10 blue leg and left handed hermits, many many hitchiker snails, worms, pods, tube worms etc., commensal crab and shrimp in pocillipora., 1 uncaught mantis. (Have never seen anything bother a coral night or day).

Coral - open brain, mushrooms, Xenia, sacrophyton elegans, green star polyps, caulestra, sinularia, turbinara cup, candelum, montipora capricornis, pocillipora damicornis, acropora (purple staghorn) and bubble.

cubera

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beats me. Seems like SPS should do OK. I am not clear how many soft corals you have but sometimes stony coral (especially Acropora) don't tolerate chemical warefare very well. You might try running carbon for a few days every month. Also, you might want to measure PO4...I did not see that listed. HTH

cfood

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just guesses here.

1.That S.Elegans softie might give off some toxins that cause problems for some sps.

2.You had a cyano and hair algae problem but say nitrates were low.What brand of test kits do you use?

burt reynolds

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already run carbon a few days a month. I use a Red Sea test kit which I know is not the most accurate. I think I probably have some excess nutrients, and got some good tips from responses on "another board." I'm going to cut back on my fish feeding a bit, add some faster growing macro to my tank, possibly get an RO/DI in the near future, and start feeding my corals. Other suggestions were that maybe I shocked them with too much light too soon when I added the MH. The acro I think may still recover, its just the very tip that is bleached, the pocillipora is what I'm really worried about so I may move it further down in the tank.

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that you probably burned it a bit. Either that, or as a beginner you may not recognize growth patterns (new growth will be white). As far as the pocillopora, it's a fairly easy species to keep, so something is obviously going on, and if the rest of your corals are doing well, it may also be getting burned. By the way, there's no guarentee that it'll turn pink. It could turn any color at all, and you won't know until it's adjusted to your tank.

burt reynolds

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right about the pocillipora, I should have acclimated it to the light better. I will move it further down and see how it does.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen new growth on a pocillopora be white. Not like acropora at least. I think the problem might be all the soft corals. My softies started doing really bad after I got SPS heavy. Especially the sarcophytons.

-Tom

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is too much PO2 in your system for calcification to occur, too much P02 will cause hair algea/cyno outbreaks. Too much P02 will prevent calcification, how much coralline algea is growing on your glass? This is an important sign that your P02 levels are in check.

sandmanrieast

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what mean p02????????
icon_eek.gif

Scottis24

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po3/4 may be undetecable since the alge may be holding the phosphates. Scrub an area of the alge with a toothbrush and retest. That finally gave me my really bad phosphate reading after testing 0 less than an hour before.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: