morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
I bought a green stylopora last Saturday at NJ reef swap.

I have a 30 gallon tank with 4*39w T5. I put the coral in the middle of the tank with pretty good water movement.

It seems to like it, the green tips are all extended and full but this morning, one of the tips is all brown and mushy looking, looks like it is covered with brown mucus.

It is still full looking just lacking the green tips. Is it dying or diseased or got attacked?

I have a 6 month old tank, is that the problem???

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s29/morphiii/DSCF0003.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Sounds like either it is diseased or got attacked. Is there another close enough to it to do damage like this? Either way, I'd carefully siphon off the dying flesh ( you don't want it flying around the tank) and then frag the affected branch below the healthy tissue line. Make sure it is getting good current and look out for further spread of the problem. If it is pesky neighbor, move one or the other. If the infection continues to spread, a more radical fragging may be your only recourse. Good luck.

morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
Sounds like either it is diseased or got attacked. Is there another close enough to it to do damage like this? Either way, I'd carefully siphon off the dying flesh ( you don't want it flying around the tank) and then frag the affected branch below the healthy tissue line. Make sure it is getting good current and look out for further spread of the problem. If it is pesky neighbor, move one or the other. If the infection continues to spread, a more radical fragging may be your only recourse. Good luck.

Got attacked by another coral?

There is another birdsnest nearby about 12inches away.

So the brown part is all dead tissues? Can it happen so fast?

I went to bed midnight last night and it seems fine.

I never frag before, how do I do it?

OIY.

Why do I get into this stressful hobby?

:eek:

morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
I don't know.

I siphoned off the dead tissues exposing the white skeleton. There are still some remnants of brown tissues in the skeleton.

I am going to wait a little bit and see if the disease progress, and frag it.

I don't have anything to dip it in though.

Is it ok just to cut and put it back in the tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: