kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I am doing the plumbing on my new 90 Gal set up, I will use an external pump as the return (little giant 4 MDQX SC) and a Mag Drive 9.5 as a close loop.
The 4-MDQX-SC has 1" FPT and 1"MPT, BUT I measured the actual inner circumference and its 3/4", should I be Using 3/4" PVC pipe or 1" PVC pipe?

The Mag Drive 9.5 has 3/4" FPT and MPT, I haven't had the chance to measure the inner part because is currently running on my old tank.

Thanks again for all your help.

Overflow is from glass-holes.com 1500 gph
little giant rated at 1350gph at 1' head
mag drive 9.5 rated at 950gph at 1' head (used for closed loop)

Last edited:

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Head pressure

just throwing a thought out there, if the intake and output are 3/4" and you put a 1" piping, wouldn't you be adding head pressure to it? hear me out.....
the pump is kicking out water at a 3/4" port and the moment you let it loose on a bigger diameter you create turbulence thus creating head pressure in a vertical pipe. (the picture works a lot better in my mind)
BUT if you keep it the same size the whole way it runs smooth.:smash:
like I said the theory works in my mind but I am no scientist.

Opinions?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
actually if you read the box on the magdrives.. it does say if you wan max output of the units it recomends stepping the output up... i forget what the % of increase is.. when i get home tomorow ill look, unless you have the box.. or i could be loosing my mind and mkaing it up..lol its been a long weekend, but im pretty sure!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you increase the output diameter you increase the volume of water which adds weight. That will reduce the efficiency because the pump works harder to overcome that.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you increase the output diameter you increase the volume of water which adds weight. That will reduce the efficiency because the pump works harder to overcome that.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

that's what i'm talking about... lol my brain still thinks outside the box.
so what do u think about my plumbing question?

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
im pretty sure it says something abt it on the box.. anyone have one handy? lol only reason i think i saw it was bc i had the same question.. and i was reading the outputs and flow rates and it said something abt it.. im not home tonight so i cant go look for ya...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
just throwing a thought out there, if the intake and output are 3/4" and you put a 1" piping, wouldn't you be adding head pressure to it? hear me out.....
the pump is kicking out water at a 3/4" port and the moment you let it loose on a bigger diameter you create turbulence thus creating head pressure in a vertical pipe. (the picture works a lot better in my mind)
BUT if you keep it the same size the whole way it runs smooth.:smash:
like I said the theory works in my mind but I am no scientist.

Opinions?

You are correct about the additional head pressure placed on the pump when oversize on VERTICAL runs. You should always use the right size piping on the pressure side of the pump, as any good pump's specs is rated based on this optimum size, go bigger or smaller will alter it's performance.

When the pipes are lay horizontally, there is little or no head pressure, bigger pipe will help by reducing friction and provide better flow path.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: