• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

rkoola1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I am setting up a 150 Gal Reef tank and have a question about plumbing. The tank will have a 40 gal breeder sump which I will be running a reefugium. I have 1 overflow which is drilled for two 1" openings (1 for drain and 1 return) There are so many ways to go about it which I am debating. You have the flex pipe with the barb fittings then you have pvc schedule 40 or 80. I want to do it right the first time and I want it to last. So please throw me your thoughts on what you think please. My initial thought is to go with schedule 40, a couple of unions, a cepex ball valve for the drain and return and a Georg Fischer Wye Check Valve on the return side to help eliminate back flow in case of a power outage. So what is your thoughts?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Schedule 40. No need for the 80 we don't run the pressure that you need that rating for.

I'm guessing that its a marineland tank because you said both drain and return are 1". Get sweep 90's for elbows instead of regular 90's for less restriction at those bends.

Don't put a ball valve on the drain, only on the return. Your overflow(drain) only keeps up with your return flow.

I don't ever use check valves, you don't need them if you set your water level correct so when power goes out it will stop draining before the sump overflows. Check valves are another thing that can fail. Keep it simple. Over complicating things can hurt more than help. You could use a check valve just know that they can fail and if you use one buy the type that is see through and is the union style so if it gets stuck open you can remove the body from the plumbing and clean it or replace it if need be.

klean61.nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
i would go for the xtra buck and do schedule 80
I have broke a sch 40 bulkhead once already and i have seen a union crack. Also a sch 40 valve become hard to adjust after time a sch 80 does not. They are not much more money if you order them online. Check Pvcfittingonline.com
I just did a 180 and 60

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Depending on how far u have to pipe it I would use spa flex though I had alot of 90's and IMO reduced the flow alot if I could so it over or next time yrs from now I'd use spa flex for drain what ever is easier for u !
I would use sch 40 but for bulk heads if buy the better ones from bulk reef few dollars more much better product

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: