ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
So I had recently (maybe 2 weeks ago) bought a bunch of maricultured mini sps colonies (mostly acros) and I'm not seeing much polyp extension..it's weird because some of them have been looking better in color compared to when I first bought them and 2 of them have more polyp extension compared to when I first bought....I'm confused but all in all 6 of them have 0 polyp extension including a strawberry shortcake with nice color....I will post tank parameters tonight....I also fed some roti and oyster and nothing....15 min after lights off and pumps in sleep mode still nothing....I tried singing a song still nothing Jk loll....

Tank is 75 gal deep blue
Ecotech radion xr30w pro g2 on 50% ...coral on bottom of tank
Proflex 4 sump
Running activated carbon and vertex bio pellets
Vertex RX4 Calcium Reactor
Aquaeurousa skimmer rated for up to 300 gallons (love it)
2mp40s
Chiller 1/4hp
Ato straight from the 5 stage air water ice rodi filter

Temp- chiller set on 79 and apex reads 79.7
Tank ph- 8.04
Calc reac ph-6.60....Lil high

Ca 400.....more co2....Lil low. Red Sea
Mg 1100....getting scared and embarrassed to keep testing. Elos
Po4 looks like 0 but then again there could be a trace maybe .5 elos
Salinity 1.025. Hanna refractometer
Alk 8.5. Elos
Ammonia 0 Bs reef master test kit
Nitrite. 0. Same
Nitrate. 0. Same

Funny how my parameters were stable where they should've been before I added all these sps pieces
Looks like I have some work to do

1st turn up co2 a hair
2nd thrive mg additive prob Tomorrow after calc goes up
3rd need more fresh air flow to bumb up ph....I might send a tube from skimmer to outside for fresh air....

So I'm guessing if my parameters were on my point hopefully I'd get some better polyp extension....

I'm open to all suggestions...
Like many of us I'm still trying to understand sps
Tell me what I'm doing sucks or is good or whatever it all helps ;)

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
your calcium is low as well as magnesium. did you dip or treat the corals before putting them into the tank, placement in flow and lighting can affect this also

I got most of them from you and seemed ok in store... im stressing em out I know but at least I tested last night and adjusted my calcium reactor... I wouldnt think that by adding that many frags would decrease all my parameters that much ...3verything was literally on point id say about a week ago...I need to buy a new co2 control valve thing cuz mine is hard to adjust the bubbles... its either too little bubbles or too much .......I dip everything in lugols for 20-25 min.....id like to start dipping in bayer also but I havent gotten around to ordering yet......everything is still in low light with medium flow....I think I will move them up a few inches today

Central Aquariums Corp.

Maxreefaquatics.com
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
usually after a long dip it does take some corals longer to get pe, and definately move into more flow, as long as your not seeing recetion on them i wouldnt be to worried, and a fluxing calcium reactor can be causing your tank param to be bouncing all over the place, and yes adding 6 mini colonies can change the alk and cal up-take

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
usually after a long dip it does take some corals longer to get pe, and definately move into more flow, as long as your not seeing recetion on them i wouldnt be to worried, and a fluxing calcium reactor can be causing your tank param to be bouncing all over the place, and yes adding 6 mini colonies can change the alk and cal up-take

Yea that's what I figured .....I had my reactor set perfect for a while and nothing was bouncing until I added more sps....I got the reactor to 6.57 ph I think should be ok for now I gotta test again tonight

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
your also lower then the levels we have been keeping the store tank at, we are at 460 cal alk 9,5 and mag in almost 1400.
i will also say watch the alk with the bio-pellets, it can drop alk. also go through and check calcium reactor, make sure no clogging and have a good co2 reg makes life so much easier on a calcium reactor

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
he said nothing about stn if you read the origanal post, it was in reguards to polyp extension. and alk, mag and cal all play a role together one or any being out of line plays a role in reguards to the other

ReefnQueens

Tonga Wanga
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Ok so recent update ....and I have to dig deeper into doing things right...it happens we all get lazy....but now I can't be because I'm getting married next Saturday then going to alaska for a week on a cruise.....sooo everything has to be in check while Im gone....also if there are any apex experts that can help me out I would hook you up big time and I really need the favor and I have no problem compensating someone....I'd prefer to have someone come here....anyway back to this thread.....
So I've been dosing to get my parameters up and this is where I'm at...
Also I've changed to all salifert test kits...
Ca 480. I know too high
Mg 1290 I know too low
Alk is over 15.7 I know I'm an a-hole
Po4 with salifert says 0 I don't see a tint of blue I hate all those po4 test kits
Sal 1.025

I must of bumped my control valve for the effluent on calcium reactor because I just saw it was over 60 drops per minute and ph in the reactor was a Lil high..
I readjusted to 30 drops per minute and the ph in reactor is now at 6.53
So that is pretty much back to normal
Tank ph is at 8.09

My main concern is getting alk back down and mg back up but I don't want to dose anything until alk is down
I believe I should shut off my calcium reactor until I have all parameters back in check where they should be then dial the reactor back in , but I'm also afraid of leaving stagnant water in there.....would it be a bad idea to leave it on and just shut off the co2?
Also ,once the alk is back down should I then dose mg get it right then turn on the reactor or is it ok to turn the reactor back on once alk is down then add mg?

As far as the high alk nothing looks any different from before....still no polyp extension, still have color , all zoas are happy and all other sps that had polyp extension before still does now ....I'm really just trying to give the maricultured sps the best chance possible....as well as get my tank stable before I go on my honeymoon

FlyPenFly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Your Ca and Alk levels don't make sense... I would double verify that.

High Ca doesn't really matter except in affecting alk levels. You want alk to be 7.5 to 9 ish. With wild swinging alk levels, your corals are going to be super stressed. Also PE isn't necessarily a sign of SPS health.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: