xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120gal FOWLR SW tank that has been set up for 4 months it houses 2 clowns, 1 Powder Blue Tang, Coral Beauty Angel, 2 blennies, 5 Chromis and 2 dartfish. I had a Porcupine puffer for 10 days and it was doing fine, ate well etc. THis morning all was well (no other fish bother him and he doesn't bother anyone else) in the mid afternoon I came home and took a look at my tank to notice he was puffed up and eyes were turning white then he retracted and died. What could've caused this? Water parameters are excellent. He ate fine last night.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i believe brought up too fast from collection means when the diver collected the puffer, they ascended to the surface too quickly for the little guy to handle the changes in pressure....? idk just an educated guess

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry to hear.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's very common to have a puffer die from blowing up in the tank, especially the Porcupine Puffer. When they blow up they may have trouble expelling the water and more important any air that they may have sucked in. This can kill them, especially if they've sucked in air.

Puffering up is a very stressful thing and something that you should NOT try and make your Puffer do as it can lead to death.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: