jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Love t5, but that halide shimmer is tough to lose

Yea 100% that's why my giesmann fixture is still with me :). The look of 400w radium is just pure awesomeness! The coverage from a tank completely covered in T5 tubes really explodes in growth through. I had fast growth from halide, but not as fast as I am experiencing at the moment. I'll mess aground and see how I can tweak colors over next few months.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Did you have an light acclimation issue after the switch ?

Not really. Par on the 10 bulb ATI was just about the same as the 400w radium. I raised t5 fixture several inches higher than the halide, and lowered over the last month Colors are lighter than before (at the moment), but many corals have put on white growth tips since. I also had to increase 2 part dosage by 30ml daily.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Growth exploded since switching ballasts Steve. Very nice. Trick to getting the red in that tenuis is to stock heavy, feed heavy, and carbon dose heavy. Easier said than done. I'm starting to get the red back under t5 since I increased carbon dosing.

Last edited:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I know this is old, but it was when I had my T5's also with IceCaps ballasts
I miss this milli
yzyUW5s.jpg

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Ati 8x54 sunpower//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/0d6969a002929184ad90dbb33ceff900.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/11/344e42b011d51b103225a30e6efe6eb5.jpg
Fastest grower in my tank. Tried to take a screen shot with the dates. Not sure it will work.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Thanks, this tank was a battle in the beginning but finally got it where I wanted it. Just wish I could get better reds on the acros. Tough color for me.

Under t5 lighting especially, reds tend to go pink, UNLESS, there is a heavy bioload with heavy feeding. I've read about and dabbled with potassium levels being the reason but I was never able to make the connection no matter what my K levels were.

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Yeah I tried the K dosing but didn't seem to change much. Also tried lowering and raising the lights trying to get the red. I've upped my bioload and have tried raising the no3 but everytime I do I get an algae outbreak so for now I've upped amino dosing and seems to have helped a bit.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: