b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Ok. Me and my buddy were having a discussion. Somehow it led to powerhead placement. I've read the best placement for powerheads is approximately 2/3 to the top of tank. My buddy is trying to say its better halfway or 2/3 to the bottom to move the detritus so it suspends in the water and the overflow can capture it.
I say more to the bottom and your sand will be all over the place. Possible with them being placed halfway. I just read recently how some have them turned up toward the water to help aerate and keep things suspended. Who's right?

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok. Me and my buddy were having a discussion. Somehow it led to powerhead placement. I've read the best placement for powerheads is approximately 2/3 to the top of tank. My buddy is trying to say its better halfway or 2/3 to the bottom to move the detritus so it suspends in the water and the overflow can capture it.
I say more to the bottom and your sand will be all over the place. Possible with them being placed halfway. I just read recently how some have them turned up toward the water to help aerate and keep things suspended. Who's right?

I heard the same thing you did. Aerate top exchange gases. Better to have than towards top than bottom.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0

I keep mine near the top of the tank but am curious as to the results of people that place them near the bottom of the tank.

Two of the points you mentioned can be alleviated by having higher flow. I have alot of flow in my tank (about 40-50x turnover rate) so detritus settling on my rocks is not issue. I can blow my rocks with a baster and hardly anything blows off of them. The flow (pointed at the glass) is also high enough that there's a lot of turbulence at the surface of the water, helping aerate the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: