Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
just a curious question i have a 75 gallon reef, mainly lps. i have a hydor 1050 on one side and some no name 750 gph powerhead on the other. i want to get another hydor and take the no name 750 out so i can run them both on the hydor smart wave controller. which powerhead do you guys recommend. i dont want a strong one because i think it might be to much for my tank, or maybe not i really dont know. any recommendations id appreciate it.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i kind of think the 750 would be to much brandy. the 750 pump i have in their now. is deff slowing down and doesnt push anywhere near the ammount of water that it did before. so i dont know if i should get a slower pump so the flow isnt that strong. because i only have lps for the most part. is it going to matter if i have a 1050 on one side and one no where near as powerful on the opposite side.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
i guess i am just kind of confused on what the flow rate would be for a 75 gallon. i feel like the 1050 is so strong and i just want another pump to crash into it to disperse that direct flow. because the 750 i have now doesnt do anything the 1050 just blows the water right past it and it hits the glass and goes back the toher way. so i dont really have any random flow.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
you don't need random flow... you just need flow to keep everything moving around like detritus etc. You want stuff like that to not just sit around on the sand bed.
If you are worried about the 1050 going past the 750s flow.. move the 750 to the back of the tank. That will create a cross pattern vs direct.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
you don't need random flow... you just need flow to keep everything moving around like detritus etc. You want stuff like that to not just sit around on the sand bed.
If you are worried about the 1050 going past the 750s flow.. move the 750 to the back of the tank. That will create a cross pattern vs direct.

Very good advice here.
If you have $, you might want to look at a wider flow powerhead such as the Tunze 6095 or an MP40. They're $$$ and not necessary, but they are a nice thing to have.

I like Koralias as well. Good pumps for the money, and you'll be fine with a 750 gph model.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: