b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Since I'm in a thinking mood tonight since I can't sleep with so much going on in my life right now.
This brings me to my next topic. PRICING. This is not directed at any one or any store in general. What is the big deal with posting prices? Some vendors don't have a issue posting prices. Some only posts prices during sales. Some people selling livestock and corals but asking just as much if not more than lfs for half the size.
Why don't the businesses do it so they can gauge the prices? Give different quotes/prices cause of who you are? A majority of us have been in this game/hobby long enough to know the average prices of certain livestock. We know when something is too high. We know when something is too good to be true. We know a deal when we see one. Are the stores worried about other stores matching there prices or possibly reducing them? I find this to be stupid cause with any business they post what they have and prices. That's what gets people/customers in the stores. This goes on every Sunday when you get your local paper. I feel it makes no difference when a vendor says pm them for price. Why? Because you pm me the price. I call the next store and tell them the price such store gave me. Either they match it or they don't. This hobby is expensive enough and I don't see what's wrong with looking for the best deal. I understand its sometimes a gimmick anyway. Like when a store says they have such and such a fish in. You go to the store and they only had 1. Maybe 2. This should be known from the beginning.
If I was to open a store. And I've been contemplating on opening one in my area for the last 2 years. And I still might. I've even spoke to one of our vendors about opening up another store and partnering(stay tuned it can and will only get better) I would post prices on everything. That way you already have in your mind what your going to or want to spend when you come in. If a person winds up buying more that's a plus for both if us. We as the consumers control the pricing. If we don't buy the fish they don't sell. If everyone said we will know longer pay $100 for whatever fish. Guess what? Sooner or later the price of that $100 fish will go down. Cost the store more money to hold and hold and hold. Just like anything in any other store.
What's your thoughts? Maybe I'm being naive and looking at it wring. Enlighten me
By the way HTTR tomorrow 4:25pm

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
You're opening a store? Where? I heard there a store by me in Brewster opening up this summer but it will have snakes and iguana and things like that plus saltwater fish and coral! Is that you?

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
no price, i just move on. competitive prices is what people look for and that brings people in. if i seen a flyer in the paper with no prices i dont think anyone would even look at it.
price and quality of stock is what i look for, and if quality is better but price higher i will go for quality over the price, within reason. but i think price is the eye catcher.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I believe vendors don't advertise prices so that the 'garage vendors' don't undercut them as easily. It's very easy for someone with no overhead to go lower in price than a LFS. Of course there are exceptions where a storefront will buy an item in bulk and advertise a mega sale, with prices lower than anyone. I personally stick to shops that have a good balance of pricing and friendly atmosphere, instead of penny pinching over every item that I purchase.

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You're opening a store? Where? I heard there a store by me in Brewster opening up this summer but it will have snakes and iguana and things like that plus saltwater fish and coral! Is that you?

Where in brewster? Animal kingdom in brewster used to have saltwater fish and coral but thats been gone for quite some time. That's the only place in putnam county that I knew of that sold saltwater livestock.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
No way Jose! They've got a small saltwater fish and coral store over there off 84 2 exits west of home depot and the new one will be closer to the 84-684 intersection by me! I also found one in Ridgefield that's actually part of a mom n pop pet shop.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
On a side note, Coralvue has a distribution center that I've been ordering from that I find out about when I bought my gyre online last year

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No way Jose! They've got a small saltwater fish and coral store over there off 84 2 exits west of home depot and the new one will be closer to the 84-684 intersection by me! I also found one in Ridgefield that's actually part of a mom n pop pet shop.

Do you happen to the know the names of the store? Or address?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: