Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought my skimmer used and it's not working as well as it used to. I also have to adjust it a lot as the level of water in my sump changes (I lose about .5 gallons/day to evaporation).

Has anyone used this skimmer? I was thinking of getting 2 (maybe even 3?!?) of these for my 54g corner bow so I could fit them right in the sump. Has anyone tried 2 smaller skimmers instead of a single large one?

http://www.petco.com/product/108200....aspx?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_ProteinSkimmers

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
2 Small Skimmers instead of a larger one is useless. Thought about it, tried it, and it's pointless. The Biocube Skimmer is good for a small Biocube 14 or a 10 gallon that's about it. It's an airstone driven skimmer so all you'd regulate is the air.

For a 54 Corner Bow which is a tank I use to have I'd get a Reef Octopus DNW 110 or something equivalent. It really depends what you are stocking with. You can get away with a Aquac Remora Urchin or a Remora and not worry about water level. Don't expect to stock the tank to the max.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do yourself a favor and ditch that skimmer and get a better skimmer like a Hang on or a in sump model.Rated for 75g or higher.Do some research on what you can afford.

I don't have that skimmer, I was just asking what people think of it as I never heard of anyone using multiple smaller ones. My issue is with the water level of my sump so I thought smaller ones might be more consistent.

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i would address or build a better sump before you decide on a new skimmer...if your water level is not constant...the skimmer will be very tempermental...one day its not skimming...another day it will overfill the cup....theres many tutorials on baffling a ordinary glass tank or you can build your own out of acrylic if you have some tools..
a desription and pics of your tank setup will help us help you!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i would address or build a better sump before you decide on a new skimmer...if your water level is not constant...the skimmer will be very tempermental...one day its not skimming...another day it will overfill the cup....theres many tutorials on baffling a ordinary glass tank or you can build your own out of acrylic if you have some tools..
a desription and pics of your tank setup will help us help you!

My sump is a pre-fab and correct. This issue is with evaporating water changing the level... guess I'll just have to be better about topping off.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
With a sump setup, skimmer goes in the section where the tank water enters the sump. The return pump must be in a different section so the water level stays consistent for the skimmer.

Sounds like u either have the following problem..
Either no baffles in the sump or the skimmer and the return pump in the same area.

Post a pic of the sump!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
It is in my intake section... the water level drops due to evaporation so it would drop in the entire sump.
Although the entire system is affected by evaporation, in a regular sump design the effect is usually seen in the return section of the sump. In a very simplistic way, think of it like this: the display tank has to reach the overflow level before water will flow to the sump. The water level in the intake section of the sump has to reach the top of the separating baffle before it will overflow to the return section so those two (display tank and intake section of sump) will always be at those levels. The return section can be viewed as a reservoir from which water is returned to the display tank. As water volume reduces due to evaporation the "reservoir" (return) level will reduce.

If your skimmer is in the intake section then more than likely your baffles are not sealed properly towards the top and you have leakage between sections.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Although the entire system is affected by evaporation, in a regular sump design the effect is usually seen in the return section of the sump. In a very simplistic way, think of it like this: the display tank has to reach the overflow level before water will flow to the sump. The water level in the intake section of the sump has to reach the top of the separating baffle before it will overflow to the return section so those two (display tank and intake section of sump) will always be at those levels. The return section can be viewed as a reservoir from which water is returned to the display tank. As water volume reduces due to evaporation the "reservoir" (return) level will reduce.

If your skimmer is in the intake section then more than likely your baffles are not sealed properly towards the top and you have leakage between sections.

100% correct

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
BTW that small skimmer is POS. Its very tricky to adjust and usually you can either get tea or not skim at all.

I couldn't get a skimmer to fit in my sump and I didnt want the extra heat of an external one so I went with a Octopus HOB that I got from a memeber here, really cheap also, and it works like a champ.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: