Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
So this past Sunday I have upgraded from my 75G tank to a 90RR tank (1 inch drain and ? return) with a new tall stand with a combined height of tank and stand 6ft tall, the pump I have used on my 75G is the marineland 5500 with 1,385 GPH, I had plenty of flow coming out with the old setup but now with the new tank and stand height I?m for sure getting less than 700 GPH coming out, I have a MP40 and MP10 the sump I have a the MegaFlow #4, my tank has a mix of corals, but mostly softies and some SPS and anemones.
When it comes to flow I like to be on the high side 10X or more, I think my total water volume is more than 100G sump and tank, so my question is do I need a new pump? Or having the MP40 & the MP10 with the pump that have now is good, I was thinking of getting the Fluval Sea SP4 with 1822 GPH after the height I?ll probably get about 1200 GPH coming out will my over flow can handle that???

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
keep in mind, when you are talking about flow in your DT, dont use your whole system volume to calculate a number for flow. If you wanted to do 10x flow and have a 10 gallon DT connected to a 90 gallon sump/fuge... I dont think you want 1000gph of flow in your 10 gallon tank.

as a return, I would suggest an over sized DC pump which you can dial back, but still have the option to have increased flow if you wanted it. The increased flow also would allow you to expand such as plumbing a frag tank into your system in the future, all you would have to do it tee off the return line.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
keep in mind, when you are talking about flow in your DT, dont use your whole system volume to calculate a number for flow. If you wanted to do 10x flow and have a 10 gallon DT connected to a 90 gallon sump/fuge... I dont think you want 1000gph of flow in your 10 gallon tank.

as a return, I would suggest an over sized DC pump which you can dial back, but still have the option to have increased flow if you wanted it. The increased flow also would allow you to expand such as plumbing a frag tank into your system in the future, all you would have to do it tee off the return line.

So, what I?m actuality thinking of doing now is getting the Fluval Sea SP4 with 1822 GPH and making a manifold, to feed my 2 reactors that I have, with an option for another one, because right now I have a total of 4 pumps in my sump!!!! One for the skimmer one for every reactor (I have 2 now) and one pump for the return. So do you guys think that the Fluval Sea SP4 with be good for the 2 reactors and return to the DT?

I have a nextreef mr1 carbon and the nextreef msr1 bio pellets

Last edited:

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
yeah that works. I have a jebao dc 9000 which is rated for about 2400 gph on my 120 right now. Use it as a main return and for my 2 reactors. I keep it running at about 50% power and it works great.

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I will like to get some more opinions before I pull the trigger on a new pump, I?m looking to get the
Fluval Sea SP4 with 1822 GPH the total height of my stand + tank is 6ft tall, I?ll have a manifold so ill connect my two reactors to it as well, and maybe a 3rd one or a UV.

Thanks for the help

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A 1 inch drain will safely do up to 900 gph if it's you're only drain, i.e. air is going down with it. If it was a fully submerged drain, and air goes down another pipe, like herby or bean animal designs, than a 1 inch pipe can do much more.
You want 4 to 6 times the display tank volume going through your sump. More is not better in this case and not only will the sump's capability, skimmer and bioload suffer, but more heat and evaporation in tank for not.
Circulation within the tank should be 20x or more for corals, and return pump's gph is part of that figure. Much less is acceptable for fish only.

Last edited:

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
A 1 inch drain will safely do up to 900 gph if it's you're only drain, i.e. air is going down with it. If it was a fully submerged drain, and air goes down another pipe, like herby or bean animal designs, than a 1 inch pipe can do much more.
You want 4 to 6 times the display tank volume going through your sump. More is not better in this case and not only will the sump's capability, skimmer and bioload suffer, but more heat and evaporation in tank for not.
Circulation within the tank should be 20x or more for corals, and return pump's gph is part of that figure. Much less is acceptable for fish only.

But having this pump with its GPH do you think it will be good as a return and using it in a manifold for my carbon nextreef mr1 reactor and biopellte nextreef smr1 reactor?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
But having this pump with its GPH do you think it will be good as a return and using it in a manifold for my carbon nextreef mr1 reactor and biopellte nextreef smr1 reactor?
i would have 1 pump that solely does return, so you're not guessing about gph. For 90 gallon tank you should be in the ballpark of between 360 and 540 gph going through sump.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The fuge should have about 10x gph the amount of the fuge alone going throu it. The skimmer should be in the first chamber of the sump so it has a chance at the dirtiest water coming from the tank. Make it so the carbon and whatever else goes from the first chamber, to the return chamber, bypassing and slowing down the flow going throu the fuge area.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: