platylover

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specs for the ampmaster 3000 is actually 60 gpm at 0' head, or 3600gph. check out http://www.dolphinpumps.com for details.

Also, 1.6 amps is a big deal.

1.6amps * 115volts = 184watts

run 24/7, the 118watts is over 1600 kWhs per year. At .236/kWh, that's $377 a year. And yes, Edison is charging .236/kWh for 201%-300% tier in California, and any energy savings comes out of the top tier.

With the energy savings, you can afford to buy a spare ampmaster in 9 months.

tmncali

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ampmaster 3600
which will give me 3900gph @0 head

ill probbably be around 7' head so i will get 40gpm=2400gph. if the whole 1.5" wye into 2 1" pipes doesnt create a flow issue.
1.5*pi=4.71
1*pi=3.14 + 1*pi=3.14 = 6.28 maybe, im sure my math is off but i would think that 2 1" pipes would be less restrictive. who knows.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW MUCH WATER CAN BE MOVED THROUGH 1" PIPE ON THE DRAINS? i have been told that 5/8 pipe can move ~20gpm~1200gph so i am gonna try and think here .. 1" is about what, 25% larger in size, so an additional 300gph?? =1500gph.. and i have 2 so is it safe to say i should be able to drain 3000gph?

sorry this thread is taking so long but i want to pull as much info as i can.

thanks everybody so far for all you thoughts, opnions and advice.

tony

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: tmncali ]

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: tmncali ]

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tony, recently I had a custom 180 built and the main reason was that the standard RR tanks have 1" drains and I wanted to go with 1.5". After talking with several experienced reefers the one thing they all said was they wish they had larger drains as this has limited their gph choices. As most people do, you will probably want to incorporate some type of Durso standpipe which again will cut down on the gph. The point I am trying to make is there are variables that come into play and its hard to have one set of rules for drain size and gph.
Now having said that I can tell you that I can run my Amp Master 3000 wide open at 4' head on my tank, and the over flows handle it. Would 1" be able to handle it, I don't think so, but here again I can't say for sure because I never tried it.
Sorry I can't be more precise but at least I will get this thread moved back to the top for you.
Steve

golfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tony,
The real question should be do you want to put 3000 gph through your sump. I tried it and for me it didn't work. I have a 150 gal tank with a 40 gal sump. The sump has 5 baffles and with that much water flowing through the sump is was like Niagara Falls, and the bubbles, they could only be delt with by using a Micron bag and or sponges. I don't want to use something that has to be cleaned every other day. This is the reason I use a Mag 12 for sump return and the Amp Master on a closed loop. I'm not saying your sump can't handle it, I'm just saying mine couldn't, this might be something to think about.

Ritteri&Bubbles,
1 amp compared to 2.6 amps may not be that much to you. I'm guessing about 150-200 watts difference, that's going to add up real quick on a pump ran 24 hours a day...

tmncali

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua Sea 2100, 2700, 3000, 3600, and 4700 gallon per hour pumps now all are available with the ampmaster motors. maybe ill do 2 2100's but then im talking 436$ for pumps. the 280$ for 1 3600 was allright, so i dont know. but 2100's run at .7 amps so 1.4 for the 2 is still less than 1 of some other types.

tony

Ritteri&Bubbles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.6 Amp diference over here run 24/7 translates into less than $70 a year which to me is no biggie. If you live in California then maybe I guess. But still the notion of 2 pumps vs. 1 pump will always be better. Doesnt Dolphin make any smaller versions of the Ampmaster?

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R&B, one of the main points was that he lives in an area with high electrical costs. I understand your point about electrical costs being cheap in New Hampshire, but we were trying to help Tony who lives in California.
Steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: