mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't see how that could be accurate. we've been using it for years with no ill effects. pvc is inert.
the founder of that organization is a housewife, not that i have anything against housewives, but she has no credentials except standing up for herself because her house was built on top of a toxic waste dump. they have one doctor on staff.
i'd like to see alot more influential folks standing with these accusations before i get worried.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
That's weird, I was just reading about this today because I think I was told last year that machining pvc is bad. One and two cuts is one thing but when you actually machine it from flat stock a cloud starts to form. I thought it was pvc but maybe I'm wrong, so I was looking for more info.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
...then again, that bottle of Poland Spring water (or any of the others..) on your desk is also a danger to you. If you froze it (not suggested) or left it in your car (also not suggested) and it got hot...well that has caused the nasties in the plastic to leach into the water you are enjoying...

As far as I know, anything made of a plastic material has some petroleum product in it - so where does that leave us? We can't very well use metal piping on our SW tanks :( Is there another option?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Arent almost all houses water lines plumbed with PVC pipes?

I dont dispute the issue brought forward, but PVC is ubiquitous in residential construction.

Anyone drinking out of clear plastic is now exposed to BPA.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I heard of this on channel 2 about 2 months ago and i am certain that many countries around the world use pvc for drinking water purposes the caribbean for example.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Arent almost all houses water lines plumbed with PVC pipes?

I dont dispute the issue brought forward, but PVC is ubiquitous in residential construction.

yes PVC is used for cold water supply lines. For hot water, CPVC or copper is typically used.

I'd only be worried if your hot water piping after the water heater is PVC.

PVC is safe if used properly...

Last edited:

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Came across this, and I thought it was very disturbing.

http://www.besafenet.com/pvc/about.htm

First off, there're different kinds of PVC. The PVC that we use in our tanks -- the hard, rigid stuff -- is highly stable. So long as you don't burn it or heat it excessively, it's safe. (You basically just need to take care if you're using high-speed machine tools on it, or around, say, MH fixtures.)

Soft PVC, however, is a different matter. The material contains plasticizers which tend to be volatile and leach out of the plastic. This is the stuff that everyone's freaking out about in baby toys and squeeze bottles and such.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a confession... I used to heat PVC pipe to make U 's and 90's should i be worried?

AFAIK, so long as you're doing it right -- using a diffuse method like heating under sand or something that ensures you don't overheat any part of the pipe, it's safe. If it starts yellowing or burning, you're getting it far too hot and that may be a problem. So long as you're not chemically changing the material, you should be OK. Mind you, I'm no expert on it. ;)

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
AFAIK, so long as you're doing it right -- using a diffuse method like heating under sand or something that ensures you don't overheat any part of the pipe, it's safe. If it starts yellowing or burning, you're getting it far too hot and that may be a problem. So long as you're not chemically changing the material, you should be OK. Mind you, I'm no expert on it. ;)
Well i guess i have some serious researching to do because i have actually burnt the damn thing in the past. The PVC pipe should have a warning lable on it...Thanks to the person how post the thread we need members like you.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well i guess i have some serious researching to do because i have actually burnt the damn thing in the past. The PVC pipe should have a warning lable on it...Thanks to the person how post the thread we need members like you.

If you're OK now you shouldn't have any problems. Just use safer methods in the future. :)

Keep in mind: burning any plastic and breathing the fumes is a Bad Idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: