Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Hey all!

Two questions:

First, I'm plumbing my Tech 70 finally. It uses two barbed bulk heads through the bottom of the glass. Should I attached a true-union ball valve or use a cam and groove fitting? Not sure which is better:

ntu89.gif

30525p.jpg

30563p.jpg

My second question, is about housing electronics in your stand. I have a DC-8 from the ACJr, an APC 7900 PDU (thanks HiJinks!) and an old laptop w/ a bad screen.

Can I just put these items on a shelf and be done with it, or do they need to be housed in some way. There is a fan cut out on the back of the stand, but I have bought a fan for it yet...

I want to have a really neat stand, but I also want to make it simple for maintenance. I made the mistake with my nano of bundling the wires with zip-ties. It was a nightmare servicing the skimmer, return pump, etc..

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
OK. House if Laughter straightened me out with all my fitting questions...
(Jim is the best!)

How about the electronics? Is salt creep an issue with having all your electronics in the stand? I've never housed so much in a stand before..

Can any one with a 3' long stand and with neat wiring maybe post a pic? I'd like to see some examples as it's difficult to get smaller setups bot neat and usable. The more gear packed in there the better!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I wouldn't put the electronics under the stand, too much moisture under there, even with a fan blowing IMO. I've seen some folks cut a small hole for the wires and mount the controller on the front of the stand. Mine hangs on the wall to the side of the stand - much easier to read it there and no water can get near it

Best to take you time and accumulate all of the things you want to add and then dry fit them to different locations to see where they visually work best for you. Those
Remember you always want to have a 'drip loop' when you are connecting wires. Also best if they are in a location where no water can splash onto them (including bursting micro bubbles).

For your wires..this stuff always looks great and keeps things tidy :)
http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/wireloom.php

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The most important issue with electronics under the stand is obviously the potential water disaster. If you're good with your plumbing (no leaks), diligent with your topoff (no leaks), sure of your 'power outage capacity' in your sump (no overflows when power unexpectedly goes out), run everything on a GFCI breaker, take the necessary precautions to keep the electrical connections out of harms way (maybe raise them off the floor), keep it dry down there, then you have nothing to worry about.

As you can see, there a lot of various things that can go wrong, especially with electricity.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: