AussieCrazy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok everyone as we speak my qt tanks are being filled, what I have is 3x 20l tanks all predrilled a sump and a skimmer if needed plan on keeping my fish in here for 6/8 weeks running half dosage of prazi pro and also copper, . My first time setting a qt system up so just trying to do this the wright way. Anyone have any pointers?

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Some type of filtration (a hang on the back of the tank power filter will work, just use filter floss without the carbon since carbon will remove medication from the water, being counter productive)

Heater

A powerhead and/or an airstone for increased surface agitation

Aquarium test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

Fish Net - don't use the same net for your main tank

Fill the quarantine tank with water from the main tank and then turn everything on in the quarantine tank.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The best way I have found to do it is to keep some filter media (be it sponges or bio balls or whatever) in the sump of the DT. When the QT is needed just pop the media into the filter and all should be good. Now, since you don't have a DT maybe you can either seed the media in a freinds sump for a couple weeks or ask an LFS for their old media.

It can be tough to cycle QTs since they are usually empty, with no live rock or any bioload to keep it going. Your best bet is frequent pretty large water changes to keep levels acceptable when you have fish to be treated or QTd. You can also use "old" water from your DT (or a friends) to keep from having to mix new water for it like Angelo said.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: