Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Mine is a glass 20" 10g tank. Nothing fancy. (All Glass Aquarium that i've had for years and re-sealed) I have an old fixture for it, a 20" hood - I assume fluorescent bulb type. I could probably find the bulbs locally... the question though is...

What do you all use for QT lighting? Obviously I don't wan to break the bank on this, but I also don't want to tick off corals too much while they are in QT. Fish probably don't care, but corals...is there a danger of them bleaching out or just dying off while in QT? Even if it's only for 7-14 days?

I guess that brings up a second question...how long do you QT coral?

My display is all LED of various colors.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
a 60watt light bulb is fine for fish.

You QT corals? Do you dip them also? I just dip them and cut off the plug they came on and put them in.

I don't have any corals to QT or dip yet...just researching and thinking in advance. I've read everything from dip and right into the display to 7-60+ days in QT.

My current, in my head plan is dip (CoralRX seems to be the favorite, what do you use Matt?) then QT for a short period...maybe 7 days. That seems to be reasonable enough to see if anything crawls out of the coral or the rock/plug it comes on.

I read a nice plan of dropping a piece of food on the opposite side of the QT tank from the coral, (probably under no light or moon lights) and watch with a flash light if anything crawls out and goes for the food. If it does, it's obviously evil, turkey baster it out. Seems sneaky and I like sneaky. Heh

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I don't have any corals to QT or dip yet...just researching and thinking in advance. I've read everything from dip and right into the display to 7-60+ days in QT.

My current, in my head plan is dip (CoralRX seems to be the favorite, what do you use Matt?) then QT for a short period...maybe 7 days. That seems to be reasonable enough to see if anything crawls out of the coral or the rock/plug it comes on.

I read a nice plan of dropping a piece of food on the opposite side of the QT tank from the coral, (probably under no light or moon lights) and watch with a flash light if anything crawls out and goes for the food. If it does, it's obviously evil, turkey baster it out. Seems sneaky and I like sneaky. Heh

haha, thats hardcore man. I honestly forget the name of the stuff I use.

I dont buy corals from people I dont know. Not saying thats a good way to prevent anything, but last time i got stuff from a swap i got flatworms even after dipping

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: