jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I wanted to get other members opinions on setting up quarantine tanks. Please note I am not referring to hospital tanks ( though I would imagine it would be the same except for not returning any LR back to the display ).

I've read opinions ranging from just taking display water, some LR and a powerhead, having a skimmer, not having a skimmer, using a filter, no filter, sponge filter, freshly made water, etc. What do you use and why? I want to have a quarantine ready before I purchase fish ( and preferably for inverts too but then I need a 2nd hospital tank ) but dont want to have to be running a full setup and all.

Teddy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A filter of some sort for some filtration
Heater, PVC (for fishes to hid if they get scare)

You can use a powerhead to move the water around

I usually use the water from my main tank, considering the fact that, those water contain all those beneficial bacteria and stuff

danelam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I keep a sponge the display tank so that I can set up a sponge filter in quarantine whenever it's needed. That way there will be some kind of biological filtration straight away. Live rock helps the cycle also, but if you do end up treating with copper it's best not to have this as it absorbs the copper.

In mine I just have a small heater, thermometer and powerhead in a 10 gallon.

Some people use tank water for the biological cycle benefits, that's what I did originally. But several senior members on this site recommend using freshly mixed water in QT, so that the quality is the best it can be. You may just need to do water changes daily (at least) and feed minimally to keep water pristine.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I posted many threads on this,because I could never keep nitrites down using a QT, IMO due to the copper that was added.

Others describe it very easily but I found it very challenging to do properly when adding copper

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: