Gaffes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering upgrading my FOWLR setup, but am also concerned with noise levels.

I've currently got an undrilled glass tank with an AquaC Remora Pro HOB skimmer and an overflow box. It is tough to keep the noise levels down and keep the water level just right with my automatic top off system. If water level gets too low, the pump in the overflow starts gasping for breath, and if the water is too high, the overflow does not skim anymore since the water level is completely above the overflow drains. (It doesn't help that the overflow box tends to detach and float up a bit.)

For this, and other reasons, I am thinking of getting a new tank. Drilled with fixed overflows and a sump for a skimmer, and maybe a bit larger. (100-120 gallons) Most likely acrylic.

One hesitation is that I've never actually had a "real" reef tank, that was drilled with overflows and a sump. How does the noise level compare to a setup like mine listed above? Are there any ways to minimize noise levels when using a drilled tank with overflows and a sump?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sump, there is potential for even more noise since you're moving more water greater distances with more gear (ie a return pump). HOWEVER, done correctly, you can have a virtually silent tank. Silence is one of my main personal goals.

To have a quiet reef tank, I recommend using a gate/ball valve to choke the flow from your overflow box down into the sump so that the water in the internal overflow box is raised only a couple inches below the water surface. Some people refer to this as "Herbie's method." This will eliminate both bubble/gurgling sounds as well as cascading water noise. Use a quiet return pump (submersed = lower noise) like Eheim or Tunze Silence Pumps and use a quiet needle-wheel skimmer. For more circulation, use internal powerheads or prop pumps like the Tunze Streams. This should result in a very quiet tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: