cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
So my tanks have been cycling for a while now using the shrimp method. I just tested the water and ammonia and nitrites are at 0 but nitrates are at 40. I haven't yet started up the skimmer. Is this too high to add my fish and a few pieces of liverock I have with soft corals from my holding tank? If it is how do I get it down?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
How much water do you think I should change or how many times? Do you think its something I can do before the weekend is over and have to come back to the city or will it take some time?

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ok I am prepping 25 gallons to change out. After I do that do you think that I can add soft corals? They seem pretty hardy the tanks they are in now aren't the best.

Also which would you put in with a purple tang, maroon clowns or percs?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I wouldn't introduce a tang into a new cycled tank. That would be the last fish I would add. You want to introduce a fish that is going to have the least bioload into the tank first... maybe more so... I would introduce a cleanup crew before I introduce coral.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well that is why I am asking. Need to know when the time is right. These fish and coral have been in rubbermaid containers for the past 6 months patiently waiting. Im sure a little longer wont hurt I just don't know when I will be back here to do it.

So should I even do the water change then or just let it ride?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Ok I am prepping 25 gallons to change out.
Think of it this way. If you change 25 out of 100 gallons that is 25%. So you should end up reducing nitrates by 25%. So if your number was 40 you could expect it to drop to 30. That is assuming there are no nitrates in the water you are prepping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: