ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
im looking for some help. today, i woke up and my girlfriend told me my email adress sent her a weird email called "FWD: no economic problems since i started it!!" she did not open it. so i looked on my email, went into sent files, and it says i sent nothing. later on today, my friend called me saying the same thing. i sent him some weird email, and then later on, someone else said the same. so, obviously something is messed up. i just went into my email, and i got a email titled "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)". inside the email, it says "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed." then under it, it shows the email they were talking about. but the email it was sent to, was someone on my saved emails thats current email address was deleted. so, it did not go through, but it looks like it sent to everyone i have on my saved emails.

so, my question is, is this a virus with my email? or something else? how can i fix this? how could this have happened?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I am assuming that it is a webmail based, I'm thinking YAHOO!!!! If so they are notorius for that. I would not worry about a virus on your computer. Your email may have been "spoofed" meaning that someone sent an email looking like it was from you. Just to be safe, I would change your email password, and also run a virus and malware scan on your computer. I would use more than one malware program as some find others that some don't.

I personally use Superantispyware (free) and MalwareBytes (Free)

What ever virus program you have on your computer, update it to make sure it is current and let it do a scan.

Also when using the malware scanners, have them run a deep scan.

I would not be to worried about it..

If it is Yahoo, then get rid of it. I rarely hear people have a problem with GMAIL>

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
thanks, i actually use hotmail. and i dont know if i can do a spyware thing or anything because i dont use a computer, i only use my ipad lol. is it possible for something like this to happen on my ipad like a virus or some issue?

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
If you only use your IPAD, I am going out on a limb to say that it has nothing to do with you. Ipad's are not virus targets, YET. I would still change your password and keep and eye on it... Email Spoof is where i am leaning towards.

longdoggy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common virus. Went through my email, sister, wife, gmail, hotmail, aol. Even went through companies with Microsoft exchange servers. It was created by terrorist groups overseas in order to worm through emails in hopes of finding governmental systems to attempt a breach.
It is relatively harmless to the average user. It's not targeted at you. You are merely a stepping stone. It hits an email, let's say you clock on the link, forward or reply; it sends a notification that you are a real email user, then reads through the web who you may have emailed before. Then it sends the same spam email to anyone you have emailed before in hopes you emailed someone with an email handle of interest. If it does, a breach at that point is likely to be attempted.
Changing your password and/or deleting you email account may not stop this pesky email worm virus. My wife's hotmail sent it out for months after she deleted account. It's not really a threat to your local machine, although I do reccomemd periodic scans.
Eventually, it will stop sending bogus emails from what looks to be you.
I played with it once when I first encountered this email by replying to the people I know saying don't click om the link. 5 min later, the same email was sent from what looks to be me to everyone I emailed. And I sent it from my iPhone. So the device you access email from is irrelevant.
If you get this email. Just delete it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: