Lilgrasshopper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that the above bulb is actually a 13000 bulb. I'm a little confused because the why would they market it as 10000 if they are truly 13000? Any comments on this and the quality of the bulb??? Are they any good? They claim to have a longer life too..how long is that???

Stashu-Dave

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grasshopper,
You may be confusing the Aqualine with the Blueline bulb. The Aqualine has a crisp "white" color rendition to it. The Blueline bulb has a very "blue" color to it and many people have commented that they should not call this bulb 10K because it is so blue( Please see Nathans post showing the color comparison of several different bulbs to see sfor yourself, P.S.Thanks Nathan). As for the overall life of a bulb I believe the Aqualine holds up a little longer than other 175watt 10K bulbs. I'm going on experience alone here but, the noticable difference in intensity (TO MY EYES) is far greater for the Blueline and also the Coralife, compared to the Aqualine. If I was choosing I'd go with the Aqualine. Hope this helps.
Dave

Nathan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I used to believe that kelvin ratings were somewhat accurate, but the past two years or so has shown that this is just and only just a marketing scheme, at least for some of the new bulbs.

The Aqualine bulbs are supposedly a tinge bluer than the Ushio/Hamilton 10K. I suppose Aqualine *things* or *guesses* that this is 13K. I doubt that it's as blue as the 12K.

Champion Lighting did all of us a disservice by labeling their bulb as "10+K". This bulb is more like 12.5K since it's a tad bluer than the 12K but almost EXACTLY the same colour.

I don't think the Aqualine ""13K"" bulb is as blue as the Blueline 10+K or the ALS SunBurst 12K. I could be wrong about this though, but I don't think so.

My favourite is the "True German" 10K Ushio. A perfect colour in my opinion. The Iwasaki (the new DL version) is not too bad, but it really truely is a little greenish and not as "white" as the Ushio, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Either of these would work out just fine, but the Iwasaki really does need *some* sort of supplementation to look appealing.

-Nathan

Coraltank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lilgrassshopper,Actually the Aqualine AB 10000K IS a 13000K bulb.There was a very recent thread on Reef Central covering this point.The statement came from the manufacturer in Europe where the bulb is made.Also covered was the fact that the Ushio 10000K is actually about 12000K.Really makes it great when you're trying to make a decision on lighting,doesn't it?I must also state that the bulbs discussed were 175watts.HTH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: