duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
so i have been using rain water for my topping off now for 3 weeks.not for water changes though cause i cant get enough to water to make the water change.i have to say i am extremely happy with the results.i always check each batch i collect and my cyano has gone away and i noticed alot less algae film on my glass.i even see more coraline growth on my rocks.has anyone ever tried this before.

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There is usually a problem with rain water being acidic and soft. I know after we get alot of rain I have to really add alot of baking soda to my pond to bring up thr KH. I think if you used the rain water to make new salt water, the salt would buffer it but I really would not use it for top off water

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I think if you used the rain water to make new salt water, the salt would buffer it but I really would not use it for top off water

Using rainwater to make new saltwater is the same as using it for top off, the salt in the tank is the buffer since only water is removed from evaporation.

But I wouldn't use rain water for top off because of acid rain as well, I'll stick to buying more RO cartridges

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
call me crazy but its working very well for me so far.i was overrun with cyano and i tried everything except medicating my tank and as of now my cyano is gone my corals all look fine and i have alot less algae film on the glass

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What were you using for top off in the past? If you were using ro/di water your filters and membrane porbably need to be changed otherwise when you change water you are going to be right back in the place you were before.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: