clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rare color morph of a centropyge bicolor was collected this week in Papua New Guinea...
OK...who wants it?
Steve

Attachments

• PA110110.JPG
    PA110110.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 3,046

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was net collected[ of course] in just 10 feet of water.
Perfect condition, eats like a pig and owns the tank hes in completely.

Steve

Attachments

• PA110123.JPG
    PA110123.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 3,032

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish. Your friend Chris Beta caught one similar in the Solomons about 10 years ago. We did not recognize it as a bicolor until Bruce Carlson took it to Hawaii and had it identified.

This one looks like a very nice fish, I would imagine that anyone getting a shipment would take it.

Dave

myerst22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great catch AGAIN!!!!!!!!! You certainly have the knack of catching those oddballs. Have any idea why the morph happens? Will the fish most likely revert to normal colors of a Bi--color. Really love the ventral fin with the orange accents on top of the white!!!!! Will this fish be heading to Japan? Continued success with catching beautiful fish!!!!!

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim,
It takes a lot of pie to support this cherry.
I we get one every 5,000 bicolors, why wouldn't we send it to the ones who bought all the bicolors that kept us in business first?
If they exercised a right of first refusal, then the Asian market might be perhaps bargained, baited and bullied. Then we would threaten to ship it to Holland if they didn't come across.... and take at least 500 kilos to go with it.
And so on.......
The fish is the bait to move entire shipments.. By itself, it has a fraction of that value.
Thats how the trade works.
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, do you have any connection to shipping of the fish or are you training net collectors and simply showcasing what has been found?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I take it that maroon has already found a home then? - Or at least is headed that way..?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time goes by too fast... - Thanx for making me feel old now. :(

:lol:

clarionreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In wholesale, fish get turned over weekly.
From the field as well. Divers got to get paid.
Retailers get to hold on to em a while longer...[a bit too long lately.]

Hobbyists however, get to look at pictures of the best photos ever taken of a species in a book or the internet and stay primed for months.
This has made everyones job harder by raising expectations to impossible levels, showing what the best supermales of a really cool species look like in breeding form. Or perhaps the rarest fishes ever seen.
Then, people expect the fish to be available when they finally hide enough money from their wife to perhaps buy it.

Kinda like playboy pin-ups for fish. You can regard the photo, but it doesn't mean your gonna get it.
You can thank Scott Michael for this!
Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GD knows the drill Steve, I was just giving him a hard time :lol:

AquaErik

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not get it, maybe I missed something. But are we not raising expectations by starting a post about a rare bicolor with pictures?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the consumer end of things, I think he's doing a great job of drumming up enthusiasm in those that are already hooked... ;)

As far as expectations goes.. - I have no idea what others might expect from seeing these. I'm not normally one to go for GE/GM morphs of anything, but what I was trolling for in my post above was where that maroon might've gone (if anyone knew..) - I'm actually kinda hoping to see that lightning clown make an appearance in the specialty breed market. - I don't expect to see it again at all, but that one is an exception that I would like to see again..

More please! - You know, whenever you get 'em.. 8)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: