Chongpark27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
:irked: I got a RBTA about a month ago and since its been in my tank it hasn't stopped moving. Today i found it my top right corner in the front of the tank. Does anybody know a way to keep the RBTA from moving around so much? I am worried one day i will come home from work and see it leaving a path of destruction in my tank.

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
you'd love my solution well temporary atleast. I've had my rbta for over 5 years and it stayed in one rock the entire time, jsut a week ago it moved away and went to an area where if he expanded would sting a lot of corals. i swatted it with the pole of my net and nudged it back where it came from, its moved back twice, i hope this time it stays there. :D

Chongpark27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
you'd love my solution well temporary atleast. I've had my rbta for over 5 years and it stayed in one rock the entire time, jsut a week ago it moved away and went to an area where if he expanded would sting a lot of corals. i swatted it with the pole of my net and nudged it back where it came from, its moved back twice, i hope this time it stays there. :D

I used a sea squirt to nudge it back from stinging my acros but the RBTA keeps moving around :( :irked: If he keeps moving i might just sell him.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:irked: I got a RBTA about a month ago and since its been in my tank it hasn't stopped moving. Today i found it my top right corner in the front of the tank. Does anybody know a way to keep the RBTA from moving around so much? I am worried one day i will come home from work and see it leaving a path of destruction in my tank.

Hey Chong as much as I want one after Aaron told me that they move and sting other corals I told him I didn't want his when his split.Had I taken it it would be me writing this thread instead of you. :lol2: If you decide to sell I'm sure you wont have a problem in doing so. Best of luck in the mean time.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
chong no way to keep them put, they can stay in one spot forever then up and move several times, been fortunate mine has stayed in place so far for a little over a month lol and i have the same concerns with all the sps

Chongpark27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
It wouldnt be so bad if the RBTA was small but it is 12+ inches fully open. I just love watching my clown fish and anenome crab host in it. Does anyone know the lighting and flow requirements for a RBTA. Just thinking i might have too much flow for it 2x tunze 6100 alternating 2x koralia #3

Last edited:

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I agree w/Ming my GBTA (not RBTA) has not moved since I bought 1 at the April 07 swap. I have mine on a large piece of Tonga slab rock with deep nooks in the rock. The rock is placed high in the tank under a 250 Watt MH light w/a Korallia 4 and the return aimed slightly off the rock. Good indirect flow, high lighting & a nice hole for the foot to hide helps.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Chong I Have Around 3500 Gph In My 60g With The 250w Mh, Mine Hasstayed Put In The Back Of Tank Right Under 2 Modded 6025's And Hasnt Moved Yet, But Its Only Been A Month Or So, And Ive Seen The Size Of It And Know Why Ur Worried, Thats Why I Sold My Rbta That Was Almost 18" If It Did Move There Would Be Alot Of Stuff It Would Cross Paths With

msharifa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Rbta

My experience has been that there are three things that make them move: lighting, waterflow and protection for their feet.
The way I have managed few of them (RBTA and two big Condis) is by putting them on medium size rocks with big indentations or holes so that their foot can be protected. If they start moving on the rock, i will turn or move the rock to a different area and then wait and see if it stops moving. My RBTA right now is in such a rock where its foot is in the hole and the rock is near the middle of the tank under a 150W MH and the water flow is not directly on it. Hope this helps.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Just to add my two cents: I agree with the posters here. Four things to get an anemone to (probably) stay put:

1. As mentioned, a rock with a crevice big enough to embed its foot into
  2. low light
  3. low flow
  4. feed ? silverside weekly
If it is not bothered by high light or flow and it does not have to look for food and it is securely anchored it will probably, repeat probably, not move. Remember, it is a living thing and ultimately it will do whatever it wants to, usually without consulting you first :lol:. HTH.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: