jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have had my rbta for several months now. It has tripled in size. Looks good. Nice color and grabs food when I feed tank. Spot feed once in a while. My question is that it has never split. I'm happy it hasn't but i am just curious in knowing if that's a good sign or bad. Do they split when they are healthy or do they tend to split when something in tank is wrong/stressed. Or do they just split when they feel like it. Lol
Thanks in advance for any replies

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
They split for a few reasons to be honest stress is definitely one of em , it's a defense mechanism , I posted a thread a few days ago called nem food what do you feed your nems , there is a reefer on that thread that posted a good insightful answer to a question , I forgot his name but find him and he is totally knowledge loaded on all nems and nem behavior , I have rbtas that split every three months or so and I have orange nems that won't at all lol

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thank you for the acknowledgement guys.

Splitting is a defense mecanism. You have better odds at surviving if your two instead of one. This video is of turtle munching down on a sea anemone. Dinner. They do have predators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06_nhVlx4jA

Splitting occurs from stress which can be brought on by anything, water change,adding coral, change in water params, light, filtration.

If its not splitting that's actually a good thing.

Although splitting is propogation, its a process that takes lots and lots of energy, For an animal to use that much energy it is not a good thing.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
No one actually really knows.

There is many theories but there is just no proof or scientific study behind it.

I think it has to do with more surface area to get more light.

Its a anemone secret i guess.

I do know that most anemones lose those booby bubbles after being in captivity. I have seen a bubble tip with long tentacles in one tank and get moved to a new one and the bubble comes back for a little.

Sometimes tentacles can be biforcated too in captivity. I also notice that alot of cool nems loose those cool spots or striations in the tentacles after being in capivity.

Juggernot55

Renegade Reefer
Rating - 100%
216   0   0
No one actually really knows.

There is many theories but there is just no proof or scientific study behind it.

I think it has to do with more surface area to get more light.

Its a anemone secret i guess.

I do know that most anemones lose those booby bubbles after being in captivity. I have seen a bubble tip with long tentacles in one tank and get moved to a new one and the bubble comes back for a little.

Sometimes tentacles can be biforcated too in captivity. I also notice that alot of cool nems loose those cool spots or striations in the tentacles after being in capivity.

Thanks

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
thanks barry.
i guess i'll do some experiments. i have 2 rbta's...one for 6+months and another for 3+ months. they both lost the booby shape but grew and maintained the original red tentacles with green base. the striations/markings also faded a bit. i'm going to supplement a par 38 bulb right over them and see if that would do anything.
btw the green bta still maintained the bubble shape for 2-3 months now. they are all in the same tank at about equivalent depth just at different side of the tank.

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Its def a wierd thing.

I have seen some keep the bubbles for a long time i have seen then lose them like you.

There is usually no difference in tentacles when it comes to magnifica, mertens, gigantea,haddoni.

Just BTA's.

Is either anemone more shaded then the other.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: