E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I love this fish... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm a huge fan. I dont have the means (or a FOWLR) but if I did, it would definitely go in my tank.

Thats actually not a bad price for the butterfly, either

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
From what I am learning, the mark up is probably 200% to 400%.

Still, if it suppose to be so rare, they should just leave it where they found it.

Rare in the hobby does not necessarily mean rare in the wild. More often than not it means remote location or extreme depth which makes the collection infrequent and/or dangerous and expensive.

Cost down the chain from diver to retailer is accordingly high and mark ups reflect risk of loss at each step ---what most hobbyists don't understand is that fish loss is generally not reimbursed back down the chain. If a retailer orders and pays for fish and they die in transit, they eat the cost. This is passed onto the end consumer. The prices you might see on wholesaler lists are not the whole story.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
If I had the money and a tank big enough I would buy all 3.

same here.
yeah honestly... if i HAD the money... id be interested as well. the butterfly is an amazing species. so is that angel and trigger.
u need to realize not everyone is broke (i am) or that seriously into the hobby where they might shine away from that price tag. there are MANY other people that are dedicated enough into the hobby where money is not an option. i bet the fish will be sold in no time...

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Description actually says they have had the fish for over 6 months...Its been eating prepared foods since last year.

same here.
yeah honestly... if i HAD the money... id be interested as well. the butterfly is an amazing species. so is that angel and trigger.
u need to realize not everyone is broke (i am) or that seriously into the hobby where they might shine away from that price tag. there are MANY other people that are dedicated enough into the hobby where money is not an option. i bet the fish will be sold in no time...

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
down to earth honesty...

Too many of us buying high end equipment on credit cards and many will be paying the balance off long after the tank no longer is running since so many of us give up for whatever reason.

once all my kids are done with college, i would consider a gem tang. right now a yellow tang is more in my range.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: