mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excessive nutrients. the reason it showed up on the sand bed is because that's most likely the place with the least flow.
waterchanges siphoning out the cyano each time, is the cure. cut back on the introduction of nutrients ie: feeding, supplements..

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
excessive nutrients. the reason it showed up on the sand bed is because that's most likely the place with the least flow.
waterchanges siphoning out the cyano each time, is the cure. cut back on the introduction of nutrients ie: feeding, supplements..

"excessive nutrients." agree.
"waterchanges siphoning out the cyano each time, is the cure". Helps, but not a cure just a bandage.
"cut back on the introduction of nutrients"-that is the cure
Easier said than done insome cases. Depends on the bio load in the tank.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
you could always do a tank blackout for a couple days. not a cure, but might help get it under control. the main issue is excess nutrients.

what are your nitrates? what is your water source? what is your bioload and how often/much do you feed? do you run a sump/fuge/skimmer? what is your water change schedule?

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I am running a sump and my dbio load is 4 fish and the rest coral. I feed the fish 2 times a day and the coral every other day. I do fed my brain coral and duncans and sun coral every day. the lights are no for ao total of 6 hrs a day and I use ro di water. I have a super skimmer by coralife 65. the one thing I can thing of is I have a coralife rodi 4 stage including the membrane and the last chamber whihc has green stuff in it as the media i have not changed in a while and I mean over 10 months and I am running a phosband reactor. I am up grading the tank so that might help out with the sand problem. I have been feeding a little bit more like marine snow but I have cut back since monday. I also let my rodi water sit for a day and then i add it into the tank . My salt level is 1.25 and my nitrites and nitrat are 0 I checked last night. the phosphate is 0.03

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your feeding is the problem. 2 times a day is a bit excessive in a closed system. even the sun coral doesn't need daily feedings.

and depletion of nutrients, how ever you accomplish that, will rid you of cyano.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: