thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Yes I have searched this topic already... But I am looking for what people have used and not had problems with.

I am going to do some custom rock work in new tank. I want to use a GEL epoxy, not the 2 part that you knead to get working.

Have you used this 2 part (like you squeez it out and mix it up with a stick).

I am looking for people who have used it, either good or bad.

I know all about using rods and drilling the rock and such, but I have not decided exactly which way to go yet.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have a 2 part epoxy from home depot and it says on it not recommended for long-term submersion or potable water... that sucked when I went to go glue my frag rack :/.

Just keep that in mind when looking!

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
If you decide to go with 2 part kneading epoxy, LMK. I live in Orangeburg, so I am not far from you. You can take a look at my tank if you like. The problem I would see with the 2 part gel is getting it into the upper crevices of the top rock so that it will take hold.

I made an arch using the kneading epoxy and some cheap CA glue. The CA takes hold immediately and the epoxy molds to the rock and takes a hold after it cures. I initially used some rock pieces stuck into the joints to hide the white epoxy which worked surprisingly well.

When it comes time, I would suggest using the epoxy on the main interesting structures and base rock. Leave the rest un-epoxied. I have already reaquascaped twice in the last year.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: