menac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Whats up everyone,

I want to try and improve the removal of detritus in my sump. Its not a major issue but it gets on my nerves I feel its starting to lead to red algae issues that I am noticing here and there in my display tank.
Due to the tanks stand height and the sump size I cannot setup a filter sock to catch the detritus. The sump is not even under the stand. Instead the water flows to the sides of the sump, (SEE PIC) which hits the first chamber which holds the protein skimmer two baffles, ref, 3 baffles and into the return chamber.
I don't have any special media or sponges in my baffles. I am considering adding some though. My ref is catching a lot of the detritus which is settling at the bottom of the sand bed in the ref. I am not sure if i should go bare bottom on the huge and remove the rocks, which is primarily a copepod ref to grow them out, I have some mangroves growing also. I could add more flow but I rather catch the detritus.

Any tips or suggestions to catch detritus in this sump setup?

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0536.jpg
    IMG_0536.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 195

menac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You've got a nice looking setup, I wouldn't change it. You can use those vacuums they make for cleaning the gravel in fish bowls to suck all that up. It's $20 at most petco places. 1 AA battery.
Here's something I found on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/KollerCraft-C...e to clean it. Thanks for the link and input.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: