Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I have a 29g biocube with 1.5-2 inches live sand, about 31-32 lbs of LR on display. If I were to remove 7lbs of LR would that cause any issues? What's the best way to break a large piece of LR?
Note that while I originally intended to remove bioballs, they are still in the refugium (no nitrates issue to date) and are "cleaned" bimonthly during water changes.

Thanks in advance!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Jenna, how long has the tank been up? How's your bioload?

I believe you will be fine if you remove the 7lbs. It is best If you can do it slowly, if not just add some prodibio or some sort of bacteria to help prevent any possible spikes. (You probably don't need too, but if your worried you can do it to be safe)

You can also follow the same for removing the bio balls. - Personally I wouldn't keep them - in a small tank performing monthly bio ball cleanings can cause mini cycles which can cause algae blooms and other problems while the tank try's to repopulate beneficial bacteria.

But if your bioload is low and you actively clean your filter pads they should be fine.

----

Liverock can be removed from the tank and chiseled (with protective gear - eye protection / gloves / mask / and long sleeves etc.)

or you can do what I do and place the liverock inside a towel and smash it on the floor outside.

Rating - 94.6%
105   6   0
Jenna,
If you are just breaking up the rock for redisplay. You should have no problem its less than a 1/3 of total rock. This is especially true if you are planning on using the rubble from the break (and there will be rubble) in place of the bio balls. As for breaking the rock there are a few things you can do. A hack with masonry blade ribbon saw works well for small pieces and has the added benefit of creating a stable base. You can use a hammer and screwdriver but you will have to chisel gently in several places in order to get the break you want an even then its hit or miss.
Hope that helps

Jenna X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Thanks JohhnyJ and Troy for the detailed info. The tank has been cycled since Sept so it's been running for only 2 months. Currently there is a blood red shrimp and 3 fishes; a mandarin, fire fish and starry blenny.

Just to be clear, I'm guessing the large rock weighs about 7 lbs. I have a 30mm? chisel that I used before but I feel like I wasn't able to break away the pieces I want (had to do this the past summer for my 8g). I also don't have a masonry saw (no space). Trust me I have proper eye gear, I'm paranoid a piece will fling and hit my eyes lol
I would like to remove the bioballs eventually, 1/3 or 1/4 increments each water change so within 2 months it will all be gone. As its substitute a media basket and maybe a tunze skimmer.

*For now I'd like to remove the 5 lbs of LR, keep 2 lbs of rubble in the refugium.
As I type this I think it might be better to remove the bio balls first then the LR after, would you agree?

Dimitrios91

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Another way to get accurate breaks in your rock, take a drill with a masonry bit and drill holes in a line, this will cause a fracture line based on the drill marks that should crack with your hammer and chisel thereafter, just my .02 :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: