Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this growing in one spot for a while now. I really never thought much of removing it becasue it was small and actually quite pretty. It is very bright green and sways around in the current. However, it is starting to get big and I wan't it gone! I tried to pull it out but apparently it's anchored down to the point where I actually lift the 10 lb rock up that its on when I pull on it. I chopped it down and tried to pull the roots out with plyers but I can't get it all. I know it's just a matter of time before it grows back. Also I'm worried that all the roots that I pulled out are going to find a home somewhere else in the tank and start small patches everywhere. :cry: Is there something that I can do to remove it for good without hurting the corals/fish/inverts?

I did not manage to take a pic of it but I found some on the internet which is exactly what I have. Here it is:

Attachments

• sea_grass.jpg
    sea_grass.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 725

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought when I saw this thread was "where did you get seagrass?" and "that should take two seconds to get rid of" :lol:
This isnt seagrass. Theres a couple of different species that this "hair" algae could be. Do a search for Hair algae. You'll see that its an ongoing battle.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I have done some research. It is not hair algae. It is called Maiden's Hair Algae or also know as Chlorodesmis. Not really sure how destructive that it can be but I have learned that it too can be difficult to remove from your tank. Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to get rid of it?

Here's a link to look at it http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... fastigiata).html&usg=__Sc8yLz-A9Fsq7hBRFBqN4YN9lf4=&h=480&w=640&sz=90&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=3NLd-HVYNURANM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DChlorodesmis%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the rock that it is on, get a chisel/screwdriver and chip off the rock that has the algae attached to it since it looks like there's nothing really on the rock with the algae, yeah rock can be expensive but its much easier to nip in the bud when its relatively contained to a small area of the tank.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that this stuff can spread? In other words, I cut it and pulled out roots the other day. They blew all around the tank. Will they settle somewhere and produce a colony?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang and coral beauty would love to eat that!!!!! :wink:

cklayko2000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about a pigmy angel or tang? What about a sea hare? All these should devour hair algae... If you get a sea hare - try to borrow it as most of them starve out in short order...

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ANEMONEBUFF":30pw7tnn said:
From my research that I have done, it appears as if most fish do not eat it because it is toxic to them. Anyway, I got myself a really pointy pair of scissors and chisled chuncks of the rock off that it was rooted to. So far it seems to be gone. We'll see though... :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":1fap603r said:
ANEMONEBUFF":1fap603r said:
From my research that I have done, it appears as if most fish do not eat it because it is toxic to them. Anyway, I got myself a really pointy pair of scissors and chisled chuncks of the rock off that it was rooted to. So far it seems to be gone. We'll see though... :D

You are indeed correct and I doubt his tang & angel would touch it with a 10' pole :)

Try using kalk paste on it. It doesn't like high PH. It also tends to burn itself out on it's own by shading too much of the lower portion of the "plant".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":2w6m1r4z said:
Try using kalk paste on it. It doesn't like high PH. It also tends to burn itself out on it's own by shading too much of the lower portion of the "plant".

Yeah, but if you trim it down like you would HC, glosso or hairgrass, you could probably keep it growing well and possibly encourage it to spread out at the same time....

Hmmmmm.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about a week since I chizzled it off the rock and I haven't seen any of it growing anywhere yet. i'll keep my fingers crossed that I got rid of it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: