• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

onel_marcelo

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 37g reef with CusomSeaLife power compacts. Currently, I have one 65w 8800k bulb and one 65w actinic. It's time to replace my bulbs and I'm looking at various options. I have both soft corals (a couple of leather corals) and hard corals in my tank.

First option, keep similar setup but was wondering if I sure go with 10,000k bulb or stick with a 8800k bulb? Is the 10k bulb too blue looking? Which bulb is better the coral growth?

Second option, replace the bulbs with smartlamp bulbs from CSL. The only reason why I'm considering this option is to have a more even distribution of both the daylight and actinic light since I could arrange the bulbs so they alternate (i.e. daylight, actinic, daylight, actinic). This could benefit my tank since I have some tall corals which produce shadows and block one or the other light spectrum. My concern with Smartlamps is that CSL states that the Actinic peaks at 460nm. I thought true Actinic were supposed to peak at 420nm. Unfortunately, CSL does not provide information on where the 7100k Actinic bulb peaks.

Any insight would be appreciated.
:?:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: