jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Anyone else have trouble? Last time I had to restart ( after cleaning it ) I had to refill the canister and force water through the intake with my Python for a few minutes until it started. Now I can't get it to start even with that. The impeller is spinning and nothing is stuck in the tubes as I've been able to suck water from one tube out the other and vice versa. What gives?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I've had this problem in the past. Fill the canister up, make it almost full. Then make sure both hoses are underwater, completely submerged. Start the filter and let it run for about 30 sec to 1 min. Turn it off and water should start to drain into the filter, at which point it should be filled. You can then turn it on and it should work. If it still doesn't try shaking the filter to remove any trapped gas. You can do it either with the filter on or off.

Also make sure the hose are straight and the same size, you don't want any loop either.

The response was 3 min, I think there have been faster.

Last edited:

HHaase

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always an annoying situation with a canister. The pumps don't self-prime, and if they're almost full it isn't able to generate a siphon with the priming handle, but aren't full enough to have the pump primed and start pushing water.

Are you re-installing it full? or empty? I find the priming pumps tend to work much better with an empty filter than a full one sometimes. A mostly-full filter can have an air bubble trapped up in the top where the impeller is, but without a path to get out.

-Hans

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I tried both empty and full. The outtake hose is not completely straight as its longer than the intake hose. I didnt want to cut it in case I need it longer later on. I will try moving it to the other end so that the tube is straight and we'll see if it makes a difference. Canister filters are annoying but this is on a turtle tank so I cant use an HOB and the in tank turtle filters suck.

LIZETTE

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I continue to go through the same thing I gave my mom one and told her she would get annoyed but she proved me wrong she said it was simple she had it elevated and as above the hose were completely submerged! Try it. The next time I clean mine I'm gonna try it too!

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ok so I moved the output nozzle further away until the hose was more or less straight and then turned it on and it works like a charm. No idea if it was that but I suspect it was.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I've had this problem in the past. Fill the canister up, make it almost full. Then make sure both hoses are underwater, completely submerged. Start the filter and let it run for about 30 sec to 1 min. Turn it off and water should start to drain into the filter, at which point it should be filled. You can then turn it on and it should work. If it still doesn't try shaking the filter to remove any trapped gas. You can do it either with the filter on or off.

Also make sure the hose are straight and the same size, you don't want any loop either.

The response was 3 min, I think there have been faster.
I also had that problem, i got tired and through them in the garbage.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: