duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I will be soon starting my 90G freshwater conversion to marine

at this point I'm just missing the return pump and the hoses for the sump

the question is...

what range (GPH) should I get as return pump?
should it be greater or lower GPH than the Overflow Box ?

this is the overflow box that I will be setting up
51iXxvZjrfL._SY450_.jpg

Eshopps PF-1000 the max flow for this box it's 900 gph

also can I go to home depot and get like a washing machine hose or any other kind instead of paying $50 for a pair of hoses for the sump ? or what is so special about this Eshopps hoses?
41WaKpsMR6L.jpg

any comments, suggestions and help will be appreciated, remember I have about 4 months dealing with salt water

Buck0land

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I would go for a pump with less GPH then your overflow box is rated for after factoring in the height the water will be pumped. Something like a Mag-drive 9.5 is rated for 975gph at 0 feet. If you have 4ft of height then your looking a ~650gph with the MD 9.5.

ecchybridLE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
you have to take into account for head pressure. being that you don't want a pump that will push more water to the display then your overflow can handle. you could go with a mag 9 or an ehiem 1260. either or will work. if you had a shot of your setup so we can see what you have going on , it would help tremendously. we can only guess what you have going on there. as for the tubing. the eshopp probably fits just right. any other hose may not fit properly. usually going with what the company has to offer is a sure bet that it works and fits just right. i know when i had my old tank , i ran into problems finding good replacements that didn't leak

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
If you can do not use an overflow box. Its a disaster waiting to happen. Do it right and have the tank drilled (if it can be) to install a proper overflow. You can go with an eheim 1262 and dial it back. Some people will tell you ohhhh my overflow box is great and some will tell you the horror stories. I like to sleep at night ;)

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
you have to take into account for head pressure. being that you don't want a pump that will push more water to the display then your overflow can handle. you could go with a mag 9 or an ehiem 1260. either or will work. if you had a shot of your setup so we can see what you have going on , it would help tremendously. we can only guess what you have going on there. as for the tubing. the eshopp probably fits just right. any other hose may not fit properly. usually going with what the company has to offer is a sure bet that it works and fits just right. i know when i had my old tank , i ran into problems finding good replacements that didn't leak

Ok will a picture of the tank will help ?
I can post a picture of the tank (freshwater) the way it looks right now, I havent start setup the sump / skimmer / and salt water conversion !!

duromega

Fish Hoarder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
If you can do not use an overflow box. Its a disaster waiting to happen. Do it right and have the tank drilled (if it can be) to install a proper overflow. You can go with an eheim 1262 and dial it back. Some people will tell you ohhhh my overflow box is great and some will tell you the horror stories. I like to sleep at night ;)

will an ATO system will prevent this horror histories ?

Buck0land

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
This pump is to small. You will only have 352gph at 4'. Have you looked at the mag 9.5 or ehiem 1260?

QUOTE=duromega;1365106]so can I go with this pump ?
Rio+ 1700 (642gph @ 0ft. Max head 8ft)
T2eC16NHJGoE9nuQeS6bBQWlUBkIZ60_3_zpse13365a8.jpg

I'm just waiting on the reefs gurus to press "Buy it Now"[/QUOTE]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: