Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a ribbon eel that is currently black. I have had this for about 8-10 months and it is eating and fully adjusted to my tank.
I have a 150 gallon that is 4x2x30" with an antennata lionfish a mated pair of false percs and a pair of mandarin gobies also mated a yellow tang.

When I had my 75 gallon with all the above jeuvenile stage fish I had a couple neon gobies with no problems. When I upgraded to the 150 the neons did not make it. No idea what happened during the transfer but they were the only fish that did not make it.

Im wondering if I can add a pair of neons to the new tank safely.
A couple things have happened to make me question this. I added a midas goby that was eaten by the eel within a couple days. I was surprised by this as the eel eats well daily. Also I have never seen it eat anything other than food. One of the mandarins is smaller and the eel leaves that alone.
Also, I last week I added female squareback anthias. They are eating twice daily and are out swimming without much drama.

Will the predators recognize these as advantageous parasite eaters like they did before? Or should I forget this as they will be hunted down and eaten like the midas?

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I can't comment on how a ribbon eel will behave towards neon gobies but I have seen cleaner shrimp cleaning the inside of a huge eel's mouth and that went on for years. I think the eel was a Tesselata and it realized the benefits.

Are you feeding him live or have you gotten him to accept frozen?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
It ate frozen in the store. That is the only reason I decided on it. The lion fish was tougher but they both eat frozen mysis and krill daily. Don't even have to use feeding tongs.

Before the Midas Benny nobody ate anything that wasn't food. Now I'm not so sure.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: