ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
I am in the planning stages of my next tank and would love some feedback.

Proposed dimensions: 4x2x2 rimless.
Lighting: 8 - T5s
Coral: Mixed Reef

I think the rimless look is very nice and am debating if I should use starfire or Acrylic. I have read many of the pros and cons of both in various threads but am having a hard time deciding what is best.

I like the acrylic because I think it will be less prone to leaks and gives me the option of adding a bunch of holes if I decide to go with a CL. I am concerned that I might scratch the tank when cleaning even if I am carefully. Is it realistically possible to scape Coraline off w/o scratching?

A glass tank be essayer to clean but does not give me as many options with drilling for a CL. Though I know many people have glass tanks I think the seams are more prone to failure than acrylic. This could be an important consideration if I end up going rimless. I know many people have rimless glass tanks. I am just being a little paranoid.

One last consideration is I would like to try to build the tank myself. I was thinking about having one build but then thought it might be fun to try my self. I know this is not necessarily the most economic choice but I would like to do it for the experience. (If only to know I never should have tried it :splitspin )

Suggestions?

Last edited:

thegemis

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic No Go

I have an Acrylic tank right now and I really wished I went with a glass tank.
Acrylic just scratches to easily, and the opening at the top is very small...:irked:

Digitalflash

Back in the water again..
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scratches cannot be avoided

After many years of having an acrylic tank ( not by choice), i am finally getting a glass tank. the scratches that are on there is just to much, as careful as i tried to be, they were unavoidable. I have bought the best cleaning and sanding gear on the market, and still could not get rid of all the scratches. a couple of them, were deep enough (still hairline size) to have algae buildup in side the groove. pain i the ass to clean as well. the tank would have been wonderful if it stayed as my ex had purchased it for, which was for fresh water fish with gravel on the bottom. from there i converted it to salt water fish and the rest is history. good luck on your new tank and happy holidays.

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Is it realistically possible to scape Coraline off w/o scratching?

Yes!! I have two scrappers right now that do not scratch acrylic under any circumstance (they also work for glass). But they aren't out on the market yet. If you use the kent scrappers or magnets they can/will scratch.

Also, starfire scratches easily also, and resurfacing acrylic is fairly easy.

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
Kimoyo,

Thank you for the response. I know you are of the most talented Acrylic guys around.

Scraper

Lot of good those scape do me if the are not on the market.... :lol:
Where did you get them?

I don't think it is the scape that one has to worry about. As long as they are a softer material they should not scratch. I was thinking it was the stuff that gets caught it them that is the problem. I am not just concerned about sand but with the coralline that is being scraped off?

Thickness
You said the acrylic was too thin and that is why it bent. For a 4x2x2 tank how think would I need to go so this is not a concern if I go rimless? what about it i go with minimal euro-bracing?

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
Everyone else thank you for reaffirming my fears of Acrylic.

1. Does any one have positive experiences with Acrylic?

2. Has anyone built there own glass tanks in the 120 gal range. I know just moving the heavy glass is going to be hard. Any Positive or negative experiences?

3. Any one know how think I should go on the glass if I decide to go rimless or if I decide to euro-brace?

Thanks

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
Thanks Kimoyo. I have decided to go with the glass as I am not sure I a will be able to keep acrylic from scratching.

Tosiek thank you for the great advice on places to get glass and building tips.

Does anyone else have pointers on where to get glass or go about the construction?

I was thinking about building it in a wood frame that I would then remove?

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah if you have never built a glass tank before I would not start off with a 120 that's just asking for trouble! :splitspin The first thing I would do is check the marketplace to see if anyone is selling their old tank. There are a lot of people always upgrading or breaking down so finding a gently used tank is actually pretty easy and will save you a ton of money.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: