brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
So I just recieve 2 xtra ro/di canisters in mail today. ( Thanks to Masterswimmer ). So all together I have 4 canisters which would make it a 5 stage unit. What do I need to add so that I can use it for drinking water?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doctors sugest you dont drink it because it removes also the good minerals but so does the RO alone you can drink it its not bad even though ive seen posted on this forum you cant drink it, thats not true its the same as distilled water and alot of health freaks drink distilled water only. The RODI removes good minerals from your reef also thats why companies make products for you to add after you filter it to put back what you removed, im not convinced that the di is needed for the reef, especially for NYC water that has such low TDS to begin with. Since you live in brooklyn i wouldnt even worry about RO water to drink just filter it you have some of the best water in the world better than lots bottled water and yeah i also seen posted here many times how bad NYC water is not true at all.

dannyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 80%
12   3   0
Thanks guys. I was getting worried there for a moment. The water taste so clean (maybe its mental) from the ro/di unit. I always offer people that come over when they see this huge filter and ask me what it is. I glad I'm not potentially harming them in anyway.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
DI water is water that is striped of all minerals and electrolytes. It is not healthy to drink DI water under certain circumstances. For instance, if you were running a marathon (not this past NYC marathon :) ) and all you drank before the race and during the race was DI water. You stand a good possibility of serious health risks. What happens is your body is exhausting electrolytes and minerals through excessive sweating. When you drink DI water you are no longer replacing any minerals you're losing through sweat. Conversely, what's happening is the DI water is pulling more minerals and electrolytes FROM your body basically to re-ionize the water.

Listen, the likelihood of a reefer dieing because they drank DI water is slim. However, if you are a hardcore, hard training, world class athlete, you absolutely run the risk of severe medical complications. This is the exact reason why we're told to rehydrate during and after training or competition. DI water does exactly opposite of what you're trying to do.

Infants & children: Just think Pedialyte ;) Another potential problem outside of the athlete is when you're sick. If you're upchucking, have diarrhea, you can cause very serious health complications if all you're drinking is DI water.

Hope this helps to clarify the mystery. Bottom line, it is unhealthy for children, especially infants to drink DI water even more than for adults since the essential minerals and electrolytes can be sucked from their little bodies much faster due to less reserves. I do not drink DI water nor do I recommend it.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: