Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Anyone use something like this to supply water to their rodi unit?

Brass 2-Way Restricted-Flow Water Shut-Off https://www.lowes.com/pd/Brass-2-Way-Restricted-Flow-Water-Shut-Off/50328303

Thinking of using something like this but worried if the washing machine which will be connected to one side will suffer restricted flow due to the restricted opening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Should be fine. The rodi isn't pulling that much water from it, if they happen to be running simultaneously.

If anything the washing machine will probably draw from the rodi when it's on.

The restricted flow is being able to control both sides independently. Without having to shut the water completely off....not necessarily less water.

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Not really worried about them running simultaneously but more so on whether the washing machine will be affected by not getting the pressure of water it needs through that small opening.

I?ve seen some people on YouTube using these connectors but not 100% sold.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Should be fine. The rodi isn't pulling that much water from it, if they happen to be running simultaneously.

If anything the washing machine will probably draw from the rodi when it's on.

The restricted flow is being able to control both sides independently. Without having to shut the water completely off....not necessarily less water.

-when the washing machine is filling you likely won?t have enough/prober psi through anything above i?d guess 60 gpd membrane.

-the washing machine doesn?t pull water, and many rodi units have one way/back flow/check valves on them

- the split hose valve pictured is notorious for cheap construction and not completely closing

-better off with a tee and two separate valves

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
-when the washing machine is filling you likely won?t have enough/prober psi through anything above i?d guess 60 gpd membrane.

-the washing machine doesn?t pull water, and many rodi units have one way/back flow/check valves on them

Exactly what i said..while the washing machine is filling, most of the water and pressure coming out of the spigot will be utilized by the washers greater demand.

I wasnt saying the washer will "pull" the water from the RODI literally....i mean it will rob the water pressure from the RODI, much like when someone flushes the toilet and the shower pressure drops.

But for how many hours a day do you fill your washer?? I still think it will be fine.

As for the construction of the valve itself..im sure it is cheap. Probably cheap plastic 1/4 turn ball valves inside.

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Just a quick update on this.

I bought a standard Y adapter and then for the rodi side I have a valve to control the water.
On the washing machine side, it?s always on.

Thanks for the help everyone.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
When you use a float valve to auto shutoff RODI. It stops it but does it cause the membrane to exhaust quickly?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread and it looks like you got your initial answer so expanding on this thread.

I saw only 200 gal before I had to change out my filters and membrane. filmtec 75gpd RO membrane - setiment - (2) 1 micron coconut carbon blocks - membrane then DI. I am seeing 400~tpms in and 0out....25-30tpms out of membrane - 0 out of DI. As you would guess, I run through DI fairly quickly as membrane is exhausted. I mean 60$+extra DI every 3 months is more than I thought I would have to spend on RODI unit. That's not counting the extra water expense.

What is everyone else's experience?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
When the float switch goes off, a minute or 3 later, the unit shuts down.
The white squarish box with 4 tubes going into it is the hi/low shut off that makes that work. It should be changed when you change your membrane. If your water pressure to the unit is low that could make the Hi/low shut off work slower. If your water pressure is low it can also make the membrane get dirty faster.
You should be getting about 4 to 1, waste to product, which is easy to check

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: