nycearnestchink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
how often and unit, wise do you change ur first two filters before the membrane , forgot the names got a 4 stage filter rodi 90 gallon spectrupure.. ( esp people in nyc) and how many waters are u making a week .

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
When I was in Queens, they would last twice as long as they do in Westchester.

1st is sediment
2nd is carbon.

I have spectrapure as well and rarely change my carbon, but sediment here is very high. Nyc has great water. Spectrapure testing it for their products.

I use the zeta zorb sediment filter and it last 3-4 times longer. I change it when its dirty prior to a rise in tds.
http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMB...te-ZetaZorb-Sediment-Filter-Cartridge-10-inch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Typically, the sediment and carbon filters are rated for usage by gallons. For those of us that don't do that, then rule of thumb is 6 months.
Without accidental damage to the membrane such as hot water or chloramine in the water supply, your membrane should last a few years.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Good stuff Pecan

Will add..
Clear canisters are good for seeing the condition of particle filter. When production falls off it's telling that the particle filter is clogged.
The carbon block takes out chlora and floura whatevers, and protects your membrane. Chloras or flouras get to membrane and it hardens and is trashed. Change carbon block every 6-12 months, depending on amount of gallons produced. While you're at it might as well change particle filter as well since you have it apart and they're cheap.
Installing a flush valve on the flow restrictor is a good idea. Oh, never mind, it's a spectrapur. Watch spectrapur video on flow restrictor adjustment. Easily found with Google, and will keep your unit running well for longer.
Finally, Get yourself a tds meter, if you no gots. When reading starts to creep upward of .004 it?s time to do some maintenance. Can be had cheap on amazon

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
All good info guys! especially adding at what TDS reading to change out the filters. That's the way I've been doing it for years not a specific time frame. There are many variables in the water system that can effect the incoming water supply which will directly effect the lifespan of the filters, DI and membrane.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The only thing I worry about is chlorine which will kill a membrane quickly. If your like me and make water infrequently then yes, I can visually see the sediment filter for clogging without adhering to the 6 months rule but with the carbon block, I'm always concerned whether it is effectively removing chlorine from the municipal water. Most carbon blocks are rated anywhere from 3000 to 3700 gallons but you also have to account for the waste water so a bit hard to calculate unless you take the time to record how much water has been made and times it by 4 for the waste.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
When my TDS starts to creep up from zero to one or two or even three, usually a change of the DI corrects that. (I do not go by the color change of the resin)
If that does not correct it, then I gravitate towards the membrane by testing the TDS output to see if it's in the 96~97% range.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: