SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Does anyone know a place in Long Island or Queens that sells rotifers? One of the MR member's clownfish laid eggs and they are hatching tomorrow. I am trying to help them out. Thanks.

Justin

I was in Country Critters a couple of weeks ago and one of the guys there said they were going to start selling rotifers, but they'd been delayed by a culture crash. They might be ready now/soon.

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
You could try to culture your own. I know people who have had success but it can be a tricky business, if the culture gets contaminated in any way you will get a crash.

But Aqua HUT had some live Rotis. Apparently a professor at South Hampton College or another school has been culturing them and giving them to Don. Ive used the product actually, but im really not sure of the quality. I know especiall with live phyto you have to shake the container daily or at least weekly or the plankton will actually fall and suffocate themselves. Not sure if its the same with live rotis.

Magic Isle in Centerreach just got some live Roti's in. Magic Isle is actually the only place in Suffolk, possibly Long Island that sells my favorite live Phytoplankton.. "PhycoPure". The stuff is awesome and if you cant make it to Centerreach you can always order some from their website.

Im also going to give it my best shot when my Peppermints spawn again but for some reason they stopped, and i have no idea why. For 4-5 months I got about 6 spawns of cute lil babys, either they got gobbled by my PJ Cardinal or made it into my Macro Fuge, past the Cheato and like a dozen made it to a low flow corner of the fuge. There they wobbled around for like a week-10 days before one by one they disappeared.

But like I said for 4 months not a single spawn and Id love to know why. Dont mean to steal the kid's thread but does anyone know what sort of changes could cause ornamental shrimp to abruptly stop breeding?

GL JColon, keep us posted. I defintely think it would be worth your while to make the 30 minute trek to Magic Isle.. they really do have some good stuff in that lil fridge ;)

-Jay

BTW you can get dead rotis in alot of places. Ocean Nutrition makes a liquid Roti product as well as their own brand of concentrated Phyto, LIVE Phyto and the awesome Oyster Eggs. Lots of places sell frozen Rotifers too. Do you need them to be alive?

Last edited:

DREUTZ

Reefs R Madness!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
But Aqua HUT had some live Rotis. Apparently a professor at South Hampton College or another school has been culturing them and giving them to Don. Ive used the product actually, but im really not sure of the quality. I know especiall with live phyto you have to shake the container daily or at least weekly or the plankton will actually fall and suffocate themselves. Not sure if its the same with live rotis.

Semi hijack, however this information might help jcolon:

I bought that rotifer mix (aka electric kool-aid) from don at aquahut and he said if refrigerated they will keep for a few months. I feed my scallop twice a week and each time I go to the bottle more and more dead rotifers have fallen to the bottom. Is it just a matter of me not shaking the bottle enough or should I be feeding them. What is a real estimate of how long the live rotis will last?

ReefFan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
yeap.. you called it DREUTZ lol. Semi-hijacker here :biggrinpa..I admit it everyone! My initial intent was to help him with his clown breeding effort and then, well i guess i just think through my fingers and my experience with Pep shrimp came to mind. Sorry.. JColon. Perhaps ill copy/paste my questions about my shrimp to another thread.

Glad you got yourself some Rotis, Ive been using Ocean Nutrition's liquid stuff but id really like to try live ones again. Let us know how the $8 ones work out. Just in case it makes a difference, just give the bottle a lil shimmy on the days you dont agitate it while feeding 'em. If the phyto plankton in the bottle of Rotifers is alive, it will def benefit from the periodic shakin.

GL bro

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: