Brokenplate

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hello I'm looking for some input on upgrading my rsm 250 skimmer I've seen the deltec 500 is the skimmer of choice but at 500 bucks a little expensive if there is any other suggestions they would be appreciate

I was also looking to add a sump maybe add a second skimmer in there ? Again any help would be great

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you choose to only do the skimmer upgrade here's what I went with- i also tried the deltec(which I still have in storage and would sell you if you wanted it) and wasn't real happy with it. It was rather noisy.

I then switched to this one that LongIslandAndy told me about and Rich at Aquarium Village ordered it for me:

http://www.reefdynamics.com/RED-SEA-MAX-250-2-PUMP-NANO-SKIMMER-p/nrs-rsm250.htm

I'm very happy with it.

Deltec MCE500--

Pros:

It's German

Cons:

It made a lot of noise,

The collection cup was VERY small.

It sat so high in the chamber that you had to mess with the settings so heavily to make it fit low enough to have the hood close and look stock that it left you no room for error/adjustments.

Reef Dynamics RSM 250 skimmer:

Pros:

Pulls a ton of black skimmate(more and darker skimmate than the Deltec did)

Sits nice and low in the chamber so it fits CORRECTLY

Has a normal round, pretty much full size collection cup.

Is highly adjustable and has the wiggle room to do the adjustments on the most part.

Breaks in fast and pulls skimmate almost right away

Is made in the USA by a guy that used to work for Euro Reef

Is built like an Abrams M1A1 tank compared to the Deltec being made like a Russian tank that the Iraqi's use- gets the job done till really being tested.

Cons:

None to note except the guy is a bit slow sometimes to build them and his communication with who orders it is lacking- but it will show up as ordered in perfect working order with all parts and is worth the wait

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: