Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Supposed to pick up a cal reactor this weekend !

It has a solenoid a few yrs ago I ran a cal reactor with a solenoid and it was a big head ache I've seen 1 set up that doesn't used the solenoid
I'm really wanting to keep this simple
Who's running a cal reactor with one without on pros/cons

Also would like to determine if I'm gonna drip kalk how r u guys doing it ?

My big question is how often do u rinse ur kalk pale out and do u drip all day or at night only??

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have a mtc pro reactor with an aquarium gardens reg plugged in to my rkl. so if tank ph drops below 7.8 it turns off co2 reg. mtc doesn't have a ph probe in the reactor and doesn't recommend one.
i think you should use a solenoid hooked to a controller so if ph drops you have some protection.

QueensRob

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I have the MTC as well and here is why I use the solenoid.

Fallback OFF
If pH < 7.90 Then OFF
If pHx4 > 7.25 Then ON
If pHx4 < 7.20 Then OFF

phx4 is cal reactor effluent out.

Fully automated by apex and never a headache with the piece of mind the sps are happy.

xclusive252

55 gal salt water
Rating - 97.6%
124   3   0
I have a vertex RX4 and I use the same solenoid (aquarium garden ) it's really nice IMO the best for what we do and I have it set up to my apex and my reactor has a ph prob so I have it set to off if ph in reactor 6.45 and on if ph in reactor is 6.60. I can send you a pic later or u can stop by if u ever want to check it out

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
you must of had a defective solenoid if it was getting hot.
buy a quality solenoid, my old one had to be cleaned often or it would oxidize and never shut off.
if you have the funds buy an aquariums garden.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
I use a solenoid for my MTC Pro Cal reactor only to shut off the Co2 going into the reactor chamber when I need to clean it. They don't recommend hooking it up to a pH controller which causes the alkalinity/dKH to fluctuate. All other brand Ca reactors you should follow their recommendations if a solenoid is required to balance the pH. Otherwise you will need to turn off the main Co2 valve when you need to do maintenance.

I use Kalkwasser for top off.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
PH probe into reactor is just more pain, first most of PH Electrode life is 2-3 years, need to be clean and calibrate every 2 months, i use my PH controler just to monitor the PH, works better than PH Monitor (w/battery) if u like good buble counter is this..........

Attachments

• Co2-31.jpg
    Co2-31.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 42

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: