mling

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that the general rule of tumb is that you do not put more than 1 Tang in a tank.
I have a 156, would the bigger tank enable me to put more than a Tang ? I am thinking of a Yellow and Sailfin Tang. Has anyone have them co exit with out world war III ?

Would it be ok if I introduce them both at the same time ? I belive the Sailfin is less agressive so would introducing it first be a better idea ?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"general rules" typically are a bit too general. You very easily could have more than one tang per tank, what matters is size, and species. Both being part of the zebrasoma species they might not like each other, however with a 156g tank I think you could possibly have it working unless the tang is too large and dominating with other fish in the tank

I have a yellow and a tomini in the same tank. There was some harassing early on but not anymore, and it's only a 100g tank. But then again their food source are different, the tomini being a rock scraper, the yellow being a nipper.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my own experience, it is important to have a large disparity in size, disparity in genus, to establish them while as small as possible, and to establish the smallest first. Tangs don't tear each other up, they shred, to pieces. Be wary, as 156gals is not as large to them as it is to us.

mling

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be correct to say that since the yellow is known to be more agressive, I should get the Salfin first and than later get a smaller Yellow ?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that the sailfin is "known to be less aggressive", because that has not been my experience. I've had them be just as aggressive, and more so, than yellows, so for me it's a toss up and an equal one at that. Part of the problem is that these fish really are individuals, and what you see of the fish in a shop is usually a situation where their aggression can be displaced among many fish.

So, I can't say that it's better to establish one Zebrasoma over another (with the exception of Z. scopas, which I've found to be a very well-mannered fish in small aquariums). Start them really small, as in no more than 3" total length, and it might be better to establish them together in this case, and have another Alpha fish (a Centropyge, Chaetadon, or similar type of fish to distract them from each other) or something that can act as dither fish. However, if it were my set-up I would find another smaller tang of another genus to mix.

You're talking about a total of three tangs ultimately making their way into this tank, and I think three is too many.

FifeReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with a yellow and other tangs. However I do have a Saifin, Naso and Orange Shoulder in a 150 for almost a year now. They were introduced in that order and about 4 months apart. The Sailfin is the head honcho and was a little nasty to the orange shoulder for a day or so. Now all get along fine. All are about 4" in length. I might have been just lucky. :P Since these three all get pretty large I may have problems later, but so far so good.

dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a sailfin that is fairly large in a 120. i wouldn't dare put another tang in there with her unless it were really big and would stand up to her.

i think she would rip a new tang apart...

jhaag

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Red Sea Sailfin, Kole Tang, and a Yellow Tank in my 210gal for several years. The Sailfin was added last and it chased the yellow a little for the first few weeks, but never harmed it, just let it know who was the boss. When I moved down to GA and setup my new 500gal reef in the new house we bought, my Kole and Sailfin made the journey fine, but sadly my yellow tang of 9 years did not make the journey. After allowing the new tank to fully cycle, I added a new yellow tang to the tank after the Kole and Sailfin where already here for several months. No issues at all and they get along great. Maybe I have abnormal fish, but I have never had any issues as long as they have plenty of room to swim around.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you see, you've hit the nail on the head, "plenty of room". These fish generally have territories and in their natural environs those territories measure in square meters, not a hundred or so gallons (or even the couple hundred you moved it to).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: