• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I've been using the salifert test kitfor a while now ,when I use the 1 ml suringe with needle piece to suck up the reagant sometimes the reagant will get pulled up to the. 75 ml line or sometimes it will get pulled up to the. 80 ml line were is it supposssed to be when u pull the reagant into the surange ? I know the bottom of the black plasticgoes to the 00 line but how much fluid fills the surange . Its been on my mind for a while now cause that will effect the test results

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ok, running another test..2nd tank lol
it reads 8.2 on mine for this test. (where the fluid level is when I first fill the syringe)
I wouldn't get twisted about that as most test kits allow for x variation in them. It could be how far up someone has pushed the pointy tip up to (mine is cut a little crooked, so mine may be slightly different from yours).
Not sure if ambient temp of the kit plays any part, but I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Did your kit come with the Alkalinity Check Solution? Might run that to see if your kit seems accurate. It's packaged with the newer kits (has been for awhile now)

gatojebv

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I do not like the salifert test just becuase of that and the extra work for the tests. API for ALk is pretty good. For anything else I would not recommend it but comparing it with other test kits Salifert and Read Sea it is very close. I like the API Alk becuase it so easy.

JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
it does not matter what it reads because there always be diffrent air in there,
I even call salifert rep about this b/c i felt the same way
they said the best is to first fill it then push back out then fill again slowly
most time it should read 8.2-8.6
I know that calcuim and mag read diffrent them Mag

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Ive been using salifert for a few years and also was concerned with this but after thinking about it it doesnt matter at all because you're usually only pushing out about 4-5 ml of reagent for the range of our alkalinity so it doesn't make a difference if the syringe started out being full to 7.5 or 8 as long as the plunger is at 0
confused ?
the plunger starts at 0 after test is complete the plunger is at say 5 that means it expelled 5 ml from the syringe whether it started out having 7 or 8.5 ml in it

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I use the same kit and I start with 4ml of aquarium water in the test vial then add 2 drops of KH-Ind, then with the 1ml syringe draw 1ml of the KH reagent, im my syringe the air starts at 0.8 it says in the instructions THIS WILL NOT INFLUENCE THE TEST RESULT then i add drop by drop til i see color change, at the end the black part stops at 0.5

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Yeah emanuel ur right I was thinking about it after jarrett said that :e called and they said it doesn't matter .if u pushed all the liquid out then it would make a dif ,hey live and learn it ws just annoying me that it was never at the same mark always diff lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: