Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hey guys I am in a bit of a jam.... I got an instant ocean hydrometer and a brix% refractometer...... On my hydrometer my tank reads between 1.022 - 1.023 and on my refractometer it shows that my brix % is at 4 so I made the correlation that 4 on my refractometer is somewhat an ok salinity level..... Now while searching the Internet I came across a couple calculators that converts brix% to specific gravity and to my surprise the chart shows that my 4 brix is actually 1.016 SG..... Is there anyone here that can confirm these readings? And what should I do? Any advice is appreciated

rebelson

Shatter your reality
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Go with whatever the refractometer says...as long as it was recently calibrated correctly. If you come out to Astoria with some water I can test it with my pinpoint salinity monitor. But you should SLOWLY raise the salinity to the desired level.

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that Sg of 1.016 is not correct for seawater Sg. A Brix of 4 is equal to an Sg of ~ 1.0237 or 31.5 ppt. So, we can say you are close enough with that 4 B = 1.023. Thus, your Brix of 4 is right on with the IO hydrometer. We run reef tanks at 35 ppt = 1.0264 Sg = Brix of 4.4.

So, why is it way off with that 1.016. That conversion is telling you what the Sg would be of a sugar solution, which is Brix, with that conversion to 1.016. It this not a conversion to seawater Sg equal. A refract does not measure Birix, Sg or Salinity. It measures RI ( Refractive Index) which is then converted to what you are trying to measure by putting a scale, what ever that scale is, Sg, brix, salinity battery acid, coolant etc., instead of the RI number on it. Meaning, that Brix number conversion would be the Sg of a sugar solution using a refract and not a seawater conversion

TABLE
...S........Brix.......Sg......
31 ppt = 3.9 = 1.0233 Sg
32 ppt = 4.1 = 1.0241 Sg
33 ppt = 4.2 = 1.0249 Sg
34 ppt = 4.3 = 1.0256 Sg
35 ppt = 4.4 = 1.0264 Sg
36 ppt = 4.5 = 1.0271 Sg
37 ppt = 4.7 = 1.0279 Sg

Last edited:

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
its worth investing in pinpoint salinity meter. its easy, fast and more accurate. i have been using pinpoint salinity meter for almost a year and its was the best investment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: