• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

aliaird

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to be mixing salt for my new tank tonight and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer before I start...

I have 3/4 filled my tank with RO water and heated it to 78 degrees. I now want to mix the salt in so that I can get my live rock ordered and in over the weekend. I will then top up the tank with externally mixed saltwater to fill the system.

My questions are, according to the Instant Ocean package the water needs to be "airated" for a while after mixing. Do I need to buy an air pump for this or will a couple of powerheads provide for enough movement to allow airation on the surface of the tank?

Secondly, will it be a problem if the water I add to top off is at a lower temperature (will it harm the newly placed live rock?)or will I have to buy another heater as well to heat that, before adding it( i know salinity is related to temperature, so I plan on erring on the side of caution and topping up with salt in the tank if the salinity is too low)

Any other tips for mixing in the tank etc? Will I get salt deposits on the glass like some people report on their bins? Can I just wipe/scrape this off if it happens?

Many thanks

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
<STRONG>Do I need to buy an air pump for this or will a couple of powerheads provide for enough movement to allow airation on the surface of the tank?</STRONG>

No, air pump is not needed. Power head agitation of water is sufficient.

<STRONG>
[QB]Secondly, will it be a problem if the water I add to top off is at a lower temperature (will it harm the newly placed live rock?)or will I have to buy another heater as well to heat that, before adding it</STRONG>

Depend on how much of volume of top water in comparison to the tank volume. Anything less than 10% should be fine.

<STRONG>Any other tips for mixing in the tank etc? Will I get salt deposits on the glass like some people report on their bins?</STRONG>

Salt creeps are hard to avoid. Salt creep are due to splashes of water gotten accumulated. If you can limit powerhead direction from the water surface and thus limit water splashes to a minimum, then, Yes, salt creeps can be avoided. But, remember, surface agitation is crucial to your tank to ensure proper gas exchange.

Also, do not mix salt according to the instruction on the bag. I find the instruction often inacurate. Always mix a little less salt then you think you need. As its easier to add more salt to your tank to raise the SG, than removing more mixed water out to bring down the SG.

<STRONG>Can I just wipe/scrape this off if it happens?</STRONG>

Yes, definetely, Just make sure you don't use chemicals to remove the salt deposit/creeps.

Oh, one more thing, better to test out the tank to make sure the tank is not leaking. Better to be safe than sorry!

Good Luck

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, temperature adjustment of top-off water won't be critical. However, once you stock your tank, and start doing water changes, you'll want to get a heater and powerhead for mixing/heating your change water to avoid shock to your livestock. Just my $0.02.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: